Chapter Forty-Five

There was so much going on by the time graduation day rolled around.

I left the house much earlier than Anna, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, my old Chuck Taylor's comfortable on my feet. I had no worried about today. Anna would come. Halle would take dozens of photos. Jean and Marco would be cute. But one piece missing.

Hugo.

His court date isn't for another few weeks. I'll be there to share what I know. I'll try my best to convince that jury that he's innocent, because he is. "It's all about the jury," Hugo says, "no one else in that room matters. Not even me."

I pulled into the school's parking lot. I parked in the one on the other side of the school where less people would be.

I grabbed my gown and walked in the school. I slipped into the bathroom and put on the gown. Halle would disapprove of my plain t-shirt and jeans.

When I saw her—when she saw me—she smiled huge and ran to me, her heels clacking on the gym floor. "Alice!" She threw her arms around me. "Isn't this exciting?"

I gave a smile. "I'm not late, am I?"

"No you're fine. Come on," she pulled at my hand, dragging me over to Marco and Jean. Jean was laughing and Marco was smiling.

"I'm serious man. Drew Hamm is gay." Marco said.

"Look who's here!" Halle pulled out her cells phone. "Stand closer together and smile!" She snapped a photo. "I'm going to miss you all so much!"

I wrapped my arms around her. "Halle, quit being so dramatic. We've got an entire summer to hang out."

She nodded. "You're right. You're right!"

"Oh!" She said, turning around. "I think we're lining up! We need to meet up after okay?"

"Okay." Marco said for all of us.

She smiled and hurried to get in line.

So many pictures. It started as I stood up. I looked for Anna and saw her with her camera up. She pointed to Marco and I wrapped my arm around his neck. She took more photos. As I walked across the stage, there were more pictures. More as I stepped off too. Throwing our caps in the air, shooting Silly String around, watching confetti fly...

Outside, I found Jean and Halle. We took group photos, then Halle took family photos for everyone and I took family photos for her. So many photos.

Once we left, I drove to Halle's for her graduation party.

People flowed in and out. Halle handed me a drink. "You'll get dehydrated."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. I wish Hugo was here."

"We all do."

More photos. The opening of gifts. Halle got a new car. I got money from Anna. Daisy dropped by, just briefly. I introduced her to Halle and they chatted awhile. Daisy handed me a stack of cards, tied together with silver ribbon. "It's from all of us." I thanked her and hugged her again and she left.

At home, I sat down and slid off my shoes. I was so tired, and so hungry. Anna brought me a sandwich.

"Did you have fun today?" She asked, sitting down on the couch beside me.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"I wish your parents could be there. They would've loved it."

I nodded again. "You were there."

She smiled. "Get some sleep, okay?"

I nodded for the third and final time.

Nothing happened in the weeks leading up to the trial. That day, I pulled on a white blouse and a black skirt and flats. I pulled my hair up in a ponytail and got in the car. Anna drove to the court house and led me inside. "I'm the adult, if I say no, you should probably say no. But no matter what, you're eighteen, you can decide against me."

I nodded. "I know, Anna,"

She took a deep breath.

The trial was painful. I explained what I knew.

He was sentenced to only fifteen years in prison. Anna assured that he'd get time off for good behavior. Overall, the duress worked. The jury believed him.

He's still going to jail.

I couldn't even hug him goodbye as he was led out of the courtroom.

I wouldn't see him, really see him, for years.

I can't think anymore today.