Chapter Seventeen

"Where do you think we're at?" I asked Hugo. The future us was somewhere, and I wanted to see them. Not talk, but see. "Wonder if we're even still here, in this town..."

"Want to check your house first?"

I nodded.

At Anna's house I peeked in the garage, seeing it empty. I smiled and pulled out my key. Wonder if she's changed the locks?

I walked up to the front door and unlocked it, and I smiled triumphantly. "It's not breaking and entering if I have a key, right?"

Hugo rolled his eyes. "Let's just hurry."

Inside on the kitchen table sat a stack of invitations. I picked one up and read it. "Please join us for the wedding of Alice Colts and..." I looked up at Hugo. "Hugo Kress?"

Hugo had picked up an invitation too. "I told you you weren't happy."

I put it down. I looked around the kitchen. Beside the trash can was a crumpled up piece of paper. I picked it up and smoothed it out. The address was to somewhere in Germany.

Dear Jude,

I hope things are going great over there. Things are wonderful here. Hugo—you remember him?—purposed. We're getting married in a few days. I understand it's last minute, but, I'd love it if you were to come. Anna misses you terribly, and so do I. We haven't really talked since graduation. I know that after Quincy died, you became distant. We hardly talked then.

I called your mother. She told me about Germany. She also gave me your address. Call me, I'll leave a seat for you at the wedding.

Sincerely,

(Bride to Be) Alice Colts

I threw the paper in the trash. "Hugo? What's the date?"

Hugo checked his watch. "January 11th, 2025."

I let out a breath. The wedding wasn't for another two weeks, at least. "Hugo, I'm done. I want to go home."

Hugo nodded, "We should leave anyway."

We turned towards the door just as the handle turned. In came Anna and me, the future Anna and me.

I—both Alices—went pale.

I looked to Hugo, panicked. He looked back at me, total deer-in-the-headlights look. He was thinking the same thing I was: talk or run.

This wasn't supposed to happen.

"Alice...?" Anna said slowly, looking towards the older me.

"Anna I can explain—" We both said, then broke off, looking at each other in bewilderment.

"We'll be leaving." I said for Hugo then ran out the door, the still shocked silent Hugo right behind me.

We ran for a few blocks until we knew we were safe. I stopped at a stop sign, putting my hands on my knees and breathing hard. "We need to go back." I said. "Now."

"Agreed." Hugo mumbled. We walked the rest of the way to the farm house, always on the look-out, worried to see the future me again.

We jogged back to the time machine, hurrying to get back to the past. I watched Hugo twist knobs and press buttons, trying to memorize it. He jogged over to his case and we both laid down, pulling the glass cover down.

The process still amazes me, seeing everything shift from new to old, so slow but in hyper speed. Some things were clear, moving at a normal pace, but other things were blurry moving faster than my eyes could compete with. It felt like something out of a music video, a time lapse of sorts.

Then it stopped and the case opened up. I sat up, pulling my knees to my chest. "Your last name is Kress..."

"Yeah, what about it?"

"When my parents died, I remember the detective mentioning a kid named Kress. I didn't think I'd ever remember the face... but now... It's all falling into place. You. You were there when my parents were murdered."

Hugo was silent, his quick speed at shutting down the machine slowing drastically. It was like he suddenly had no energy. Just when I didn't think he would speak, he did:

"Yes."

I got out of the case and stood, gathering my things. "You know more than I do."

Again, he hesitated before answering: "Yes."

I swallowed hard. This next question would be so hard to hear the answer to.

"Where they killed because of Eota?"

Hugo was silent, the machine slowly shutting down, slight mechanical whirling becoming silent. Hugo turned around, facing me. "No. Not entirely."

I turned to head out of the barn. Hugo called after me: "I'm so sorry, Alice!"

I started to run.