Chapter Twenty-Seven

The knife was wrapped in my coat, the cold metal a layer away from my skin. I was very aware of the only other car in the parking lot. Dark tinted windows, probably bullet proof. Must be boss. I wonder if Hugo is there too.

Ethan's car pulled into the parking lot and I took a deep breath. He parked right beside my car and I cut the engine. I leaned against my car, waiting for Ethan to come over to me.

"Hey, Alice," he said.

"Hey," My hot breath showed in the cold night air. I remember, when I was a kid, blowing my breath into air, pretending it was cigarette smoke. Didn't we all do that?

Out of the corner of my eye, the third car moved slowly, parallel to Ethan. He didn't notice. Ethan wrapped his arms around my shoulders and kissed me. I put a hand to his chest, feeling for his ribs, feeling for the space between his ribs.

My phone buzzed. Do it, Amenta. Do it now.

I started to cry. "Hey, Alice, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

Do it Amenta!

"Nothing, Ethan, nothing."

Amenta! Now!

I pushed Ethan away. "I can't do it!" I screamed to the car. "I love him!"

"Alice, what's going on?"

"Please don't make me do this! He can change! I can help him change!" I pulled Ethan close. "Ethan get in your car and drive, now. Go fast."

A loud noise, louder than I ever thought. A gun shot. Blood on my face and hair, blood on the car behind Ethan. I screamed. Blood all over Ethan's head. A hole straight through his temple. The car drove off. I still screamed.

Sirens. Police sirens getting louder by the second. A car pulled into the parking lot, pulling right up to me. Ethan was dead weight, fell on my body after the shot. He was bleeding all over me, warm and wet, shining dark red in the light from the parking lot lights.

A cop came up to me, pulling Ethan off. Another officer pushed me away. An ambulance pulled in and EMTs got out, rushing over to the already dead Ethan.

"Ethan!" I screamed.

The rest was a blur.

I ended up in the hospital, in a change of clothes Anna brought. She was talking to an officer. "She was meeting him for dinner! She didn't do it!" Anna was tired. I was tired. I just wanted to sleep.

Red. So much crimson red. All over my hands, all over my body, all over.

Hugo was there. Hugo was always there. There when my parents died. There now.

I was brought home. And I slept.