Chapter Twenty-One

An unusually warm day in February normally meant breaking out the shorts and ditching the jackets, but with a uniform nothing changed but the environment around the school. Driving home, I let all the windows down and let the wind whip my hair around my face.

I got a call from Daisy, my old best friend. I didn't even know it was her on the phone. I deleted most my contacts after I moved.

"Hello?" I was still smiling from the refreshing drive, walking into my house and setting my bag down on the counter.

"Hey, is this Alice?"

My smile faltered, recognizing the voice on the other end. "Daisy?"

"Hey, it's been a while, huh?" She paused, waiting for me to speak. I never did. "Well, um, I tried calling you after you moved but your phone always went to voicemail and after a while..." I started to tune her out, after that night. I never felt like talking to anyone, so my phone remained off, not to turn back on until I started school up again. I tried again to listen to my old friend.

"Well remember how I was all excited about the musical, because I just knew I'd get a lead part? Well. I did. And I'd like to see if you would like to come watch me preform one of the nights?"

Daisy wasn't talking to me the same as she always had. Before she'd jump into this big explanation about how I'm coming no matter what and that memorizing everything was hell and how she'd be so happy once it was over. Now it was like she was walking on eggshells. Do I really seem that fragile? Or is she just unsure of me?

"Oh, I don't know. Depends on when it is." I said. "But I probably can. How's everyone else doing?"

"They're all great. Josh really misses you, but he had a crush on you for forever."

I had a crush on him too, but he was below my level of 'popular' and I just knew how Daisy and everyone else would talk. So I never did anything else but be his friend. I never told Daisy either.

"Tell him I miss him too." My phone started to buzz against my ear. I pulled it away from my face and saw that Ethan was calling. I smiled. "I've got to go, Daisy. Text me the dates and I'll get back with you."

I could feel the smile in her voice. "Great. Talk to you later, then?"

"Bye." I hung up and answered Ethan. "Hello."

"Hey. Want to come over? Everyone's gone for a few hours. Won't be back until later this evening."

I smiled. "Already grabbing my keys."

The musical was this weekend, three days from now, more or less. I thought I'd go, support Daisy, but I couldn't go alone. I offered Ethan to come with.

"Sure, darling." He said, smiling his easy smile. One of his arms was on top of the sheets, his shoulder muscles a marvel. "What musical?" He asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I hope to God it's not Mary Poppins. Can't fucking stand that musical."

"What would you like to see?"

"I don't know. I've always loved The Sound of Music. But we did that a few years ago. Maybe they'll do Aladdin, or something cool."

"I'd see Aladdin."

I won't admit it, but I'm extremely nervous for the musical. I haven't seen any of my classmates since December. They mustn't have noticed I was gone until the end of break. I wonder if any of them really know what happened, why I left. Maybe they all think it's because of what happened with the fight.

I guess it wasn't really a fight. There weren't multiple fists being thrown. No one circled up and chanted one of us on. No one was cheering on the fight. Everyone wanted it over. No one could stand to see the precious victim get hurt.

I wonder what's changed, or has everything remained the same.

Did I ever make that much of a difference?

I'd like to think so.

But I think everyone would like to think so.

In reality, I'm just an ant in a whole colony.

I mean nothing, even when I was there.