Chapter Forty-One

"Will there be alcohol?"

I glared at Anna. "You didn't care last night if there was alcohol?"

"Hon, it's only three in the afternoon."

"I don't know, Anna, there will probably be some later. But I don't know how long Hugo and I will stay." I pulled on my ratty Converse and pulled a loose Hollister tank over my yellow poka-dot bikini (yes, I know the song).

"Okay. Here's some cash if you need something for any reason, and again..." Anna handed me a couple condoms.

I looked at her. "Anna, Hugo is... classy. He wants to wait until marriage."

Anna shrugged. "Just in case."

"Okay. Bye, Anna," I grabbed my purse and walked out the door.

At the beach, I grabbed my towel and beach bag. There was still sand in it from all the other times I've gone. The water was a brilliant blue, clear as the sky. The weather was perfect. And it was hot too.

Down by the coast, I found a place to lay my towel. I dug a small hole and put a small bucket in it. I poured sand around the bucket and put my phone and wallet and keys in it. Then I put my towel over the hole. I took off my tank top and shoes.

Out on the water there were a cluster of big boats. Teens on jet skis and speed boats whizzed around. I made my way over to the dock and dropped my feet into the water. It was cool and refreshing.

"Hey!"

I turned around and saw Halle waving. She ran towards me, the fringe on her bikini hitting her face. She sat down beside me, setting the fringe back into place. "Thanks for taking me home last night. My mom would've freaked if I didn't come home."

"You look a lot better."

"Sleep, man. And drugs—over the counter, I mean."

I smiled. "Are Jean and Marco coming?"

Halle shrugged, leaning her head back and soaking up the sun. "I don't know. I kind of hope so."

I looked around at the beach. Teens were everywhere, running, sitting, sun bathing, kissing, laughing... It was such a happy sight. The booze was missing. My guess was that it wouldn't be brought out until dark. I couldn't wait until dark, there'll be a bonfire and s'mores and dancing and I hear that they'll even start a drumming circle. As lame as one sounds, I took part in one years and years ago, I was maybe ten. All I remember was how friendly everyone was and how we all kept our own beat that somehow matched. Ever since, I've wanted to partake in one again.

Halle's phone buzzed on the dock. "Hello?... Yeah, we're here..." Halle turned around to take a look at the parking lot. "Yeah I see you..."

I turned to look. I didn't see anyone.

"We're down at the dock... Lemme ask." Halle turned to me. "What does your towel look like?"

"It's the only black one."

"It's black." She said into the phone. "Okay, yeah, meet us here if you can't find it. Meet us here no matter what... Okay, bye." She hung up.

"Who was that?"

"No one. A black towel? Who buys a black beach towel?"

I shrugged. "Anna, I guess. She said that it's better to buy dark ones because they don't look like anyone else's so we can find our stuff easy."

Halle nodded. "Works for me."

"Who was on the phone?" I pressed, curiosity eating away.

Halle shrugged. "I don't know."