Chapter Ten

I drummed my fingers on the wheel, waiting for Hugo. The parking lot was dark, lit with sparse light poles. The window shield and side windows were starting to fog.

Someone tapped on the window. I jumped in my seat, startled. I wiped the window and saw Hugo laughing hard outside. I grabbed my keys and purse and got out of my car. "You fucking asshole! You scared the shit out of me!"

Hugo took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to scare you." He let out a small laugh. "Okay, you ready?"

I punched his shoulder lightly. "Whatever. What did you want to show me?"

"Just get in." Hugo jogged over to the driver's side. I slid into the passenger's seat. His SUV smelled like stale smoke sunk into leather. I cringed. "I know, I know. Sorry for the smell. My dad used to drive and smoke in this thing. I've tried everything to get the smell out."

I nodded.

Hugo drove through the streets of our town until we were to the city limits. He pulled off of the main road to a house. He drove off road, past the driveway and to a dark ominous barn. He parked around the backside and got out. I followed behind him, timid. We were at a farm house, all the windows dark.

"Uh, Hugo, are you sure we're okay to be here?" I asked. It looked like the type of place to have a No Trespassers sign on it. Or at least a Beware of Dog one.

"Well, not really. But it'll be okay. We won't get in trouble." He took my hand and led me to the front of the barn. He took out a key ring filled with different shaped keys. He tried two identical ones. The door opened, creaking.

He stepped into the barn and turned on a light. "Come on,"

I stepped onto the concrete floor. In front of me stood a huge machine with clear coffin-looking cases surrounding it. Hugo stepped up to it, flipping switches and turning nobs. He picked up a piece of tubing. He pretended it was a microphone. "Hello! And welcome to the ride of your life! I ask that you please remove all jewelry and all cameras, cell phones, iPods, or really any "smart" device." Hugo smiled at me.

"Hugo what the hell?"

"Do you trust me?"

"Not really."

"Well you better start." He smiled and walked over to one of the coffins. He pressed a button and the case opened. "Step inside."

I walked up to the glass container, giving Hugo a worried look.

"It's okay."

I laid down, tense all over. "Hugo I swear to God if—"

"Nothing's going to happen." Hugo gave me a small smirk. "Trust me." Easy for him to say.

Hugo skipped over to the main part of the machine, jumping over wires and cords littered around the machine. He pressed a few more buttons and my case closed. I started to scream, pounding on the glass, ordering Hugo to let me out.

Hugo went over to the glass case next to me and smiled. He closed it and looked at me. He started to mouth words but everything around us changed. It was like a time lapse, but so much faster. People buzzed in and out of the barn, the wires starting to disappear. Hugo still smiled at me and I felt my eyes go wide.

Then, everything stopped.

The glass case opened, but I didn't move. Hugo stood up and got out of his and walked over to mine. He cleared his throat. "Welcome to the year 2025."

I blinked a few times. "Hugo, what just happened?"

"We time traveled."

I stood up, my head aching. I pressed my palm to my forehead. "Ugh,"