Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Anna told me you went out the other day. How'd that go?" Amanda asked, leaning forward in my chair.

"Went fine."

"It was your birthday, too? Excited to be an adult?"

"Tell me, what all can you do at eighteen? Buy lottery tickets? Buy a pack of cigarettes? I can go fight for my country but I can't have a beer? Being an adult isn't that much different than being a kid." I stood up and pulled on a jacket.

"Where you going?" Amanda asked, alarm in her eyes.

"Out. Do you have a problem with that?"

"It's just that... we're in the middle of a session..."

"Okay. Well. I'm ending the session early. Tell Anna I'm going over to Hugo's." I pulled on my sneakers and headed out of the house. It felt nice to drive my own car again. I sped, probably should've gotten some speeding tickets.

When I was stopped at a light, I realized something idiotically stupid.

I don't know where Hugo lives.

So I called him. "Hugo, I need to come over. I'm currently at Fifth and Rome, stopped at a stop light, and I need directions to get to your house."

Hugo laughed. "Okay, turn right at Folks..."

Pulling up to Hugo's house was a much different feeling than Ethan's. Walking up to the door, I could already feel the warmth coming from within. The door opened and a woman with dark brown hair and the best smile. "Hiya," She smiled—impossibly wider—and opened the door. "Come on in. Alice, right?"

This was Liddi, Hugo's mother. I met her so long ago, I didn't quite recognize her.

She smiled. "Hugo's in the kitchen."

I followed Liddi to the kitchen towards the back of the house. Hugo was washing dishes. "Hugo, look who's here!"

Hugo glanced over his shoulder towards us. "Oh Jesus, Mom!" Hugo dropped silverware in the sink and dried his hands. "Couldn't have waited until I finished dishes, Alice?"

"Sorry I drove too fast for you. Mind you, we were on the phone almost the whole ride, so..." I smiled.

"I'll be in the office." Liddi said, smiling at Hugo before heading down the hall.

"God she's so embarrassing." Hugo said smiling.

"Uh, Hugo, you were washing the dishes. I don't see what's so goddamn embarrassing about dishes. Come on, I'll help you finish." I took off my jacket and walked over to the sink. Hugo washed and I rinsed.

After drying and putting everything away, Hugo started to laugh.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Because you're kind of wonderful."

"Geeze, did you just read a John Green book? Or are you just a cheesy dork?" I smiled, setting the dishrag on the counter and setting on the top.

"It's a lot cheesier than I meant for it to be." Hugo leaned on the counter beside me. I leaned my head back against the top cabinets. Hugo pivoted on his hip so he was now in front of me. He put his hands—cold from the water—on my cheeks, bringing my head down to his.

And he kissed me.

Then he pulled off, smiling, his cheeks bright pink.

"Look at me, kissing a widow."

I leaned my head back and banged it on the cabinet. I laughed, pressing my fingers into where I hit. "Oh my God! Alice! I'm so sorry!" Hugo pulled my head down, asking me where I hit it. I laughed, bent in the most uncomfortable position.

"Hugo, please let go."

Hugo let go of my head and bit his knuckle. "Oh my God," He put his hands on his head and circled the kitchen. "I'm such a klutz!"

I jumped down from the countertop. "Hugo, it's okay. How about some ice?"

Hugo snapped and pointed at me. "Right! Of course. Ice." Hugo opened a drawer and pulled out a plastic bag. He scooped some ice into the bag. He handed it to me. "Christ. I am so sorry."

I put the ice to the back of my head, smiling. "Hugo, I was the one who whammed my head into the cabinet. Why are you sorry?"

"I made you laugh."

"And you're sorry for that?"

"Naw. I'm never sorry to cause you to laugh."

I smiled.