Gondor's Need, Rohan's Answer

"Wake sister!" Agardess cried. She was already dressed and shook Eowyn awake. "We must get you ready!" Eowyn lept to her feet and Agardess quickly shoved armor into her arms. "Quickly!" Agardess urged. Eowyn dressed as quickly as possible, Agardess helping to disguise the length of her hair. 

"My sword," Eowyn cried grabbing Agardess' arm as she moved to leave the tent they shared. 

"Where is it?" Agardess asked glancing around before spotting it and seizing it. She handed it to Eowyn who slid it into place. "Find a horse, quickly now, we have little time." Agardess went out first making sure the coast was clear before motioning Eowyn out. She turned to leave but Eowyn caught her arm.

"When will we see each other again?" She asked. Agardess looked towards where the army was gathering. 

"You will see me on the battlefield. I may ride in front but I will fight beside you." Eowyn nodded and allowed Agardess to leave her. She found herself a horse as Agardess requested. She started riding to where the army was gathering. Agardess pulled up beside her and together they helped Merry, who was standing alone, looking quite lost, onto Eowyn's horse. When Eowyn slowed to get into position, Agardess kept riding, pulling her horse to a stop next to Theoden. 

"You fight with us?" Theoden asked her, surprised to see the elven woman beside him. She bowed her head.

"My skills are yours to command," She held her head high again and watched as the city come into view as they rode. They stopped atop a hill, blowing the horn as they did so. Agardess pressed her lips together as she noticed the city burning. 

The battle field was full of Orcs, the city barely being able to hold them off. Theoden turned to her. 

"What do you see?" He asked. 

"What you do," She answered quietly. "The people of Gondor will not hold much longer." Theoden nodded. "The Orcs are forming ranks." Theoden nodded again.

"Stay here," He told her, she did so and he took off, yelling orders to the captains of sections as he went. Agardess stayed where he told her too, watching and waiting for the order to charge. 

"Shields shall be splintered!" He was yelling now. "A sword day a red day ere the sun rises!" Theoden rode past Agardess again letting his sword hit all the readied spears. "Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin and the world's ending! Death!" 

"Death!" The army echoed. They repeated the cry a few more times. The men blew their horns and the riders of Rohan kicked their horses and took off, towards battle and blood. 

Arrows were fired at them, bringing down horses and men alike, but they kept going, here was no time for pitting the fallen. Now was the time to fight. Agardess remembered her promise to Eowyn far too late. She was already riding to battle, there was no time to find her friend. But Agardess knew she would find a way. When the battle was in full swing ranks would break and she would find her. 

The Orcs stumbled back, the arrows not holding off the riders. But the first line was soon slaughtered by steel. The battle had begun. 

Agardess felt an arrow graze her cheek, but it did not bother her she simply swung her long sword at an unsuspecting Orc, his head flying into his own ranks. The battle was complete chaos, bodies seemed to be flying as horses crashed into Orcs. Her horse was hit, falling to his knees and throwing her off with the motion of the stumble. She landed on the ground, rolling to her feet and swinging her sword at the Orc who had killed her steed. She drew her other sword and began running, the riders swinging to avoid the woman on foot. 

~*~

She was far away when the Nazgul striked, but she could see it was Theoden who was hit. She could also see it was Eowyn who stood before it.