f o u r

Stress.

Stress is overpowering me every step I take within the Castle walls.

"Up the staircase, Princess," I feel them give me a shove forwards. I suddenly hear the citizens outside chanting the words, "Give us peace!" over and over again. My stomach ties itself into knots as I approach the large spiral staircase that stands before me. Insanity keeps poking around, interlocking itself amongst the stress emotions floating around inside of me.

I reach the staircase and begin to ascend it, one step at a time. The Castle looks similar to mine back at home, because of the red long drapes hanging over all of the windows. However, my castle at home is made of white marble, this one is made from black granite. Its surface is rough to the touch.

Once we reach the top of the staircase, the throne room looms before me, with its tall dark double doors opened. I gawk as I see the large chandelier hanging from the ceiling and the tall thrones all the way on the opposite wall with stairs leading up to them. Large and long drapes hang from the ceiling across the walls, deep red and black, arching into each other forming many designs. I find myself eyeing them, following the gold and silver trims all the way up to the ceiling.

A loud sharp clank gets my attention as I sharply turn my head to face straight ahead. The tall King stands before me, several yards away, in front of his tall throne. He wears a deep dark blue hood and cape just like mine, and his hood is up, shadowing his eyes from me. He clutches his scepter in his right hand.

That must have been what made the loud clanking sound.

Then the king lifts the scepter again and quickly thrusts it down. The same loud clanking sound filla the room once again, causing me to flinch. Everyone around me stops walking immediately and bends into a bow. I feel a jab from behind me and I remember I am not bowing, so I do so as well.

Once everyone straightens themselves again, I get a good look at the King standing before me. He frowns once he sees my face, like bad memories and feelings are the only things he feels when he looks upon me.

I know... father... you do not have to remind me how much of a disgrace I must be to you...

I lower my face in submission, but then the firm voice of the King fills my ears, "Raise your gaze upon me, child,"

I immediately raise my eyes back to his and this time I keep them there. He then lifts his left hand and goes to lift the device clamped onto my arms. He moves it all around, studying it while looking to my eyes every now and then.

"You have done well, commander," The commander to my right bows once more,

"Thank you sire,"

Then the King's gaze becomes stern and he looks directly to me, "Did she give you much trouble?"