Chapter 34 - Stay Away From the Light

Start from the beginning

I took a deep breath.

“You are really scared aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

“So you do want me?” he asked very quietly.

“Of course I do, but not in the first week, fortnight or maybe even three months of dating.  I love you and I want to be with you, for a long time.  Why do we need to do everything so quickly?  We have time don’t we?”

Three months...?” He muttered quietly to himself, I could see him frowning.  He asked slowly and carefully, “Do you want the whole white wedding?  Is that what you mean?”

“What you are saying that we will be married within three months?”

“Umm, no,” he said very apprehensively, “I’m not ready for that!”

 I laughed softly at him.  “Neither am I.  And no, I am not waiting until I am married.  I am just waiting for the right time. Like for instance - not with both Fathers in my head, not with an audience, and not in the middle of saving humanity.  This is not exactly romantic Scott.”

“OK, you are right.  But please understand I have never had to wait for so long.”

“A week?  Hmm well, Scott that doesn’t necessary say too much does it.  I am sorry but you are going to have to work harder for me than you did for them.”

He laughed, “Ok you are worth it.  I will have to have more of these cold swims then.  Come on let’s get you out.”

With his arm around my waist we swam together back to the boat and arrived just as the food delivery Angel was leaving. 

Aze helped me out of the water and had a blanket ready to wrap me in. 

He had his jeans back on and his shoulder was almost completely healed. 

There was a hungry silence as we sat where we could on the boat and ate Pizza.  Scott wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close.

“Adam, is Samy your Qaddis?” I asked we ate.  Adam stopped and looked away while Aze looked at him.  “It’s just that Jari told me Egregore couldn’t be Watchers.”

“No, my Qaddis died.”

“Sorry, I didn’t know.”

“Look I really don’t want to talk about it.  This isn’t the right place.”

“You should tell them,” Aze said quietly.

“No, that’s not my place.” Adam growled back at him.

“Well Adam, at least tell them what you have done since.” Aze shrugged.

“Can you be an Irin without a Qaddis?” Scott’s arms tightened slightly almost like the thought of it made him want to hold me tighter.

“Yes, it is difficult but possible.  My EON isn’t as strong but I can do almost everything else but Judge.  And because I can’t make judgements it makes my job very difficult.   Of course Samy and I work together and which gives me some authority.  But really this situation wouldn’t be like this if... well if things had worked out differently.”

“But isn’t Samy is Scott’s biological mother?”

“Yes,” he said bluntly and turned away from my questioning look.

“Why did you tell me she was dead?”

“It had to happen sometime.  You were six and you started to ask a lot of questions about her and wanted to go visit her.  Even to the point that you asked if you could go and live with her.  It was the only way.”