It'll be alright...

Toby sent Layla in the ambulance with Kit, telling her he'd meet her at the hospital. He then ran back to where he'd left Riley.

It turns out that only 3 members of the East side gang had been sent, the one that shot kit was dead, courtesy of Toby, one was unconscious, thanks to Layla and Isla and Dean chased the final one when he tried to run away.

When he arrived at the industrial estate Toby saw three people. Dean was standing in front of Riley and another guy had a gun aimed straight at Dean's head. Making a spur of the moment decision Toby picked up a rock and threw it with all his might, hitting the gun holder right in the temple.

"Toby!" Riley yelled and sprinted, or rather tried to sprint (she was still pretty drunk) towards him. He pulled her in to a passionate kiss then remembered Kit.

"We have to go!"

"Why?" She asked.

"Kit's gone to hospital, he was shot." Riley visibly paled. Toby tugged her along to where they'd parked her car and drove like a maniac to the hospital. He ran in like a mad man, Riley hot on his trail. He caught sight of Layla in the waiting room, she was in tears which worried Toby immensely, she never cried.

"Layla, what's going on?" She began to cry even more.

"Oh, Toby! He was shot twice! And one of those times was in the chest! It could've hit his heart, Toby" She leaned her head into the crook of his neck.

"Shhh Layla, it'll be alright."

"This is the worst birthday of my entire life, first my mom kicks me out, no-"

"Wait! She kicked you out?" He asked in surprise, she nodded. "So you're like, homeless?"

"Yep." She sighed.

"D'you want to, like move in with me? At least for a while?"

"Thanks Toby." She forced a smile, but Toby could see the worry in her eyes.

"Is anybody here waiting for Simon Kiterson?" Cringing at the sound of his friends full name, Toby stood up.

"We are!" The doctor made his way over to them.

"It was close, but we think Simon-"

"Kit." Toby corrected automatically.

"My apologies, we think that Kit will pull through. However that bullet was extremely close to hitting his heart so we expect that Kit will take a long time to recover." The man said and Toby let loose a sigh of relief.

"Can we see him?" Layla whispered tentatively, her voice breaking.

"Yes, of course but he's still under anaesthetic." They followed the doctor to a room a little way down the corridor. Layla went straight in but Toby hung back and looked straight at Riley, feeling guilty for tonight.

"Riley I am so, so sorr-" she silences him with a kiss.

"It's fine, but I want an explanation." Riley whispered, Toby nodded and walked in to see Kit.

Layla was seated by his bedside, holding his hand as he slept. Toby looked at his best friend and wondered what the hell he'd do if Kit didn't make it. Riley must've noticed his despair as she took his hand, and that simple gesture was more comforting than Riley could ever understand.

"He'll be okay, Toby." Riley whispered, he nodded.

"Yeah, he's a tough nut to crack is out Kit, it'll take more than a couple of bullet wounds to kill him." Toby chuckled and even Layla cracked a smile.

An hour later Kit was still unconscious, and Toby was getting ready to leave.

"I'm gonna stay here tonight, guys." Layla decided so Toby and Riley left.

"Toby... Can I ...um, stay with you tonight?" She muttered as they pulled out of the hospital carpark.

"Sure." He didn't ask for an explanation but Riley felt the need to give one.

"It's just that my dad's on a business trip and I don't like being home alone." Toby smiled but it didn't touch his eyes.

"It's fine Riles, don't worry." He told her as he parked at the apartment complex. When they got inside Riley changed into one of Toby's t shirts and climbed into his bed.

"I guess I'll just... Uh... Sleep on the couch?" Toby murmured awkwardly and Riley was already half asleep.

"No..." She mumbled surprising him when she pulled him down into bed beside her and snuggled into his chest. Toby found himself feeling extremely comfortable and his last thought before sleep overcame him was:

I hope Kit will be okay.