She belonged...

"You're worthless, Riley!"

"Mom, it was an accident. I swear!" But Mrs kay wasn't listening. Blinded by anger and hatred she stalked towards her daughter .

"I asked for a cup of tea, not a broken cup!" By now Riley was in tears because she knew what was coming. Her mom raised a hand and Riley felt the sharp impact on her cheek. But Mrs kay wasn't finished yet.

"Mom I'm sorry! I'll make you a new cup of t-" SMACK!

"Go to your room! I can't even bare to look at you." Riley complied instantly, rushing up the stairs.

Riley woke up panting, remembering that night like it was only yesterday. She recalled the exact thoughts her 10 year old self was having:

This wasn't fair!
This was more that any 10 year old should have to cope with.
Her mom was insane, Mr Kay was just too blind to see it. He was constantly away on business trips, leaving Riley alone with her mom, and every time Riley was left with a scar, mental or physical.
It just wasn't fair!

Luckily her dad had finally opened his eyes and kicked his wife out 2 months after that night. Just when Riley had thought her problems had been solved, her dad had began distancing himself from her, she was lucky to see him twice a month.

That's why Riley wore the badass facade, to conceal the scarring memories that haunted her. That's why Toby's assumption effected her. She didn't want to be hurt, so she put on a bad girl exterior, nobody had ever seen through it, before Toby.

The more Riley thought about it, the more she regretted getting Toby into trouble. She missed him, more than she cared to admit. She was used to being lonely but Toby had helped to fill the gaping hole inside of her. She had screwed up big time. And there was only one way to fix it. Riley was going to pay Toby Anderson a visit at 8:30 on a Wednesday evening.

She didn't know what she planned on saying, all Riley knew was that she needed to apologise to him. Toby made her feel safe, made her feel like she was actually worth something and she wasn't willing to lose that.

KNOCK KNOCK.

When Toby saw who was at the door he immediately turned angry.

"What do you want?" He snarled.

I wanted to say sorry for being a bitch and for overreacting I'm just scared of being hurt... That was everything Riley had planned on saying but it just wouldn't come out. Instead she leapt forward and kissed him, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck.

He was slightly taken aback but soon Toby's arms snaked round her waist and he pulled her close, kicking the door shut. When they finally stopped for air Riley began to speak.

"I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have done that, you didn't deserve it and-" he silenced her with his lips, effectively stopping her rant.

"It's fine Riley," He whispered, his voice husky "I don't care about getting in trouble. I just don't understand why you did it." In that moment Riley felt petrified, she couldn't tell him, at least not yet.

"I can't tell you Toby, I'm not ready." He looked slightly annoyed but let it slide, probably noticing the pleading look in her eyes.

"Okay, but promise me you will, when you're ready." He suggested and she nodded, smiling lightly because he cared.

He took her hand and lead her into the living room, pulling her into his lap as he sat down.

"My friends are having a party on Saturday, for Layla's birthday. Will you come?"

"Who's Layla?" She suddenly felt a little jealous.

"Honestly Riles, she's just a friend." He smirked, obviously enjoying her jealousy.

"Okay, I'll come."

"Really?" He sounded surprised.

"Yeah, of course I will." And the look of excitement on his face made Riley's heart jump a little. He was so cute...wait what?

"What you thinking about." He looked amused and Riley realised her face must have given something away.

"I just... Well I was just thinking that you were kind of...cute." She stammered.

"Awwww, the badass thinks I'm cute." He teased and Riley blushed. "Don't be embarrassed, for the record I think you're cute too." They both smiled and Riley felt a genuine happiness inside her.

For the first time in a long time, she felt like she belonged...