He fell to the floor...

"So who actually are your friends? Do I know them?"

"No, probably not, they go to Prescot." She nodded thoughtfully.

"So where's the party?" Riley asked.

"Just on the outskirts of downtown, we'll be there in a minute."

"What if they don't like me?" She worried.

"Then I'll beat them up." He stated, only half joking.

"You'd beat up your friends for me?"

"Riley, I'd beat up anyone for you, and I mean that." She blushed lightly and Toby took her hand. "Honestly, you have nothing to worry about." He assured her. Then he stopped the car and climbed out, Riley followed suit. He put his arm round her waist and lead her to the entrance to the alleyway.

"Toby!" Kit hollered, rushing up to him. Smiling Toby slapped his back.
"And who's this?" He asked looking at Riley.

"I'm Riley." She told him tentatively.

"Ah so this is the girl you've been talking about." Toby cringed at Kit's bluntness.

"Speaking of girls, is she here yet?" Toby asked, talking about Layla.

"Not yet, she text me saying she's gonna be late. Mom trouble." He looked uncharacteristically worried as he said that and Toby smirked, knowing all to well how Kit really felt about the birthday girl.

"Want a drink?" Riley nodded and let Toby guide her to a cool box. "Beer or soda."

Riley had an internal debate and the devil on her shoulder won. "Beer please." Toby smiled.

"You're so full of surprises." He pulled her close. "Did I tell you how sexy you look in those jeans." He whispered, lips grazing Riley's ear. She blushed and shivered involuntarily.

"Hey Toby." Another two voices greeted him.

"Hey, Riley, this is Isla and Dean, you two, this is Riley."

"You're girlfriend?" Dean asked and Toby through Riley a questioning glance.

"Yeah, I'm his girlfriend." She answered. Isla and Dean nodded appreciatively.

"It's about time he settled down." Dean stated.

Isla giggled. "Yeah, you've tamed a beast Riley." Toby shoved her playfully.

"She's pulling up now." Kit yelled and everyone gathered together to await Layla's arrival. The girl had no idea this was her party, in fact she had no idea her friends knew when her birthday was. When Layla emerged from the alleyway she was greeted by several yells of 'Happy Birthday'.

She smiled widely, running a hand through her soft brown hair. "You guys remembered!"

"How could we forget." Kit replied then grimaced at how cliche he sounded. Layla didn't seem to mind though, she looked at him with fondness in her eyes.

"Thanks." She whispered, blushing deeply. Toby coughed and their intimate moment was broken.

"Come open your presents." He insisted and Layla sighed.

"Guys you didn't have to-"

"Well we did, now shut up and open them." Isla insisted, gripping her best friends wrist. They all rushed over to the wooden slab that held all her gifts. Toby was still holding Riley's hand when Kit approached him looking nervous.

"What's up bro?"

"Well I...uh got Layla a bracelet, but I also wanted to ask her out, like on a date, I just don't know how." Kit rambled.

"Just give her the bracelet and ask her out." Toby answered simply.

"Thanks for the help." Kit rolled his eyes. "What do you think?" He turned to Riley who shrugged, sipping her beer.

"Well I don't really know you guys but I think she likes you."

"Really?"

Riley nodded "Yeah. So I think she'll say yes, if you do ask her out." Kit smiled genuinely at her answer.

"I like this one." He told Toby looking at Riley whose cheeks flushed pink.

"So do I." Toby replied.

20 minutes after that it was clear that Layla had accepted Kit's suggestion and they were now making out in a corner, but they were both sober now. However Riley was a different story, she was well on her way to becoming drunk.

"Is this your first time drinking?" Toby asked incredulously.

"Well I drink... Champagne at Christmas and thanksgiving... Sometimes." She slurred, Toby laughed loudly catching the attention of Kit and Layla which meant they finally stopped eating each other. Toby stood up and walked over to his two best friends, telling Riley to stay where she was.

"So are my two best friends now an item?" He questioned. They both refused to look him in the eye. "Aww c'mon guys, you've liked each other for fuck knows how long." Kit smirked.

"I'm taking her to the cinemas on Monday, after school." He stated proudly, "D'you wanna bring Riley?"

"I'll ask her she's she's sober." Toby chuckled and they all looked over to where she was sat, talking to an empty beer bottle. They all sniggered.

"She's pretty." Layla stated. "I'm glad you've found someone you like Toby."

"Yeah, she's pretty awesome." But he didn't have long to dwell on that fact because all of a sudden the revving of motorbikes could be heard.

Toby and Kit looked at each other. "It's East side."

Layla growled. "And on my birthday as well!"

"Kit you let everyone know, I've gotta go and hide Riley." Kit nodded and Toby ran over to Riley and picked her up, running down the alley way and into the abandoned industrial estate. Frantically he searched for somewhere to hide her.

"Toby, what's happening?" Riley whispered.

"Nothing baby, I've just gotta take care of something, just stay here alright?" He said, putting her down in the doorway of an old warehouse.

"Are you gonna be okay?"

"Of course, I'll be fine just like I always am." But as Toby ran towards the alleyway he felt anything but fine. His mood fell even more as he took sight of the scene unfolding before him. A gun was being aimed straight at Layla. Toby made to dive in front of her but Kit beat him to it. The bullet hit Kit instead and he fell to the floor.

Toby heard his own heart shatter at the sight of his best friend.