Chapter 26

Chapter 26

      Waiting in the line felt like forever. It moved so slowly it was unbearable, I was in such a mood I swear I could have killed someone.

      “Are you sure you saw him here?” I asked for the millionth time, my mind was on full alert but I still had to make sure I wasn’t being an idiot.

      Jared nodded, sending me into another rampage of huffing and puffing. Why is it that Joe Livorarte is the only one to make me so frustrated? Why can’t he be an ordinary boyfriend?

      “When he was here, where abouts in the queue was he?” My impatience was defiantly taking over my mind; it’s so hard to believe that I had become so irritable from a hot headed guy.

      “Well I think he was actually at the front of the line, but I don’t remember exactly.” Jared rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, I felt a bit guilty for expecting him to have the answers.

      I turned to Casey, wondering what her opinion would be on this situation (she always has an explanation even if it’s a crazy one) but I couldn’t help but notice her distant expression. It was a mirror image of Joe when we were in my living room not so long ago.

      Jared seemed to notice it too “Case…are you OK?” the sincerity in his voice was clear and the worry in his eyes was deep. The tone of his voice brought Casey out of her thoughts, and she smiled at him.

      “Yeah sorry I was just daydreaming” Softly stroking his cheek. Unlucky for her, I could tell when she was lying. And she was lying her blonde curls off; I needed to talk to her.

      I think she noticed that I knew she was lying because she put on her most honest smile to Jared and said “Jay Jay I just need to go to the loo, Angie’s coming too. We’ll be back soon, save our spots”

      She sauntered off leaving behind a rather dazed Jared. Rushing off to catch her, my mind filled up with a thousand and one questions of why she was being this way. But before I had the chance to do so she span to face me, I almost crashed into her it was so sudden.

      “First of all I want to let you know this isn’t my fault” Her voice full of anger “And secondly I didn’t sign up for this so if anyone’s to blame it’s you!”

      Her tone softened slightly, but the tightness of it was still there. I reached out to her only stopping myself because I was worried about what she would do. What ever had her so mad obviously wasn’t good.

      Looking down, I asked softly “What’s wrong?” She sighed; I could hear her pacing in front of me. Casey was really beginning to scare me.

      Grabbing my hand she pulled me into a nearby ally way, as if she was trying to make sure no one could hear us. She looked into my eyes; hers filled with remorse and guilt as she spoke “I haven’t been entirely honest with you…”

      What did she mean? What could she possibly be hiding from me? I stared at her, an eyebrow rising slightly telling her to explain.

      She sighed; she must be wondering how to say it or even how I would take it. Looking away from my eyes she said “There’s something I found out about Joe …something I should have told you…” She bit her lip; it was as if she had to will herself to tell me. “You know the reincarnation thing…” Nodding slowly she continued “well it has something to do with that…and the girl who he was in love with…”

      My body froze, everything was falling into place. I was finally beginning to understand why Casey was finding this so hard to say.

     “When you refused to do more research, I continued to do some. The main focus was on Joe’s family background and who they were associated with through out Joe’s life.” She looked to me to make sure that I was OK, and then continued “And a name that seemed to reoccur a lot was ‘Whittica’.”