Chapter 23

Chapter 23

     Casey couldn’t stop staring at me with the worry in her eyes. I had only given her the basis of what had happened, mostly about where he had come from and who was in the picture with him.

      I couldn’t tell her about what happened to Joe, it was more impossible than anything else that had happened the past couple of months. Its four weeks until the audition and so much shit is going down its unreal, it’s not fair.

      Why can’t my life be simple like everyone else? I just want to dance, is that to much to ask for?

       “Ang are you sure there is nothing else you want to tell me?” Casey asked for the tenth time. The concern in her voice was strong and real it was obvious to her that I was hiding something.

       Sighing deeply I turned to her, a worn smile on my face as I reassured her “No, I promise there is nothing else to tell you.” I poked her nose to make my words seem more real “If there was you would know.”

      It was obvious she didn’t believe me, but she didn’t press the subject further. She knew I must have a very good reason for not telling her everything. Although, to be honest, it’s not a good enough reason.

      We had left the library by then, after Casey had asked all the questions about what had happened we walked in silence. I was feeling guilty about not telling her, while she was obviously wondering what I was keeping from her and why.

      The silence droned on and I could see that Casey was going crazy from it; she could burst out at any moment. And when we reached my house gate, she did.

      “OK seriously dude you can’t keep this from me, I understand you need privacy with certain things, but I can’t let you keep this bottled up. It’s flipping eating you alive you doofus!”

      Her anger was over boiling and (although I would never admit this to anyone) she actually frightened me, her usually bright blue eyes were cold. Her blonde curls wilder than usual; it was as if she had grown taller in the past couple of minutes.

      “Case I swear to you-“I started, but I wasn’t able to finish my lie.

      As I held my cheek my eyes teared slightly as I looked at Casey, the expression on my face full of shock and accusation.

      She had slapped me. Casey had actually slapped me. I stared at her; my eyes wide with shock. Looking away from me she whispered “I’m sorry…I just don’t like to be lied too”

      I’d never seen Casey like this before, usually she would be so calm and you know…Casey. But seeing her now, like this...it just wasn’t her.

     Even with my cheek in agony I smiled at her “Don’t apologize, I know I shouldn’t lie…it’s just…” My smile faulted and my voice began to shake “It’s just I don’t know what to do…everything is just messed up…I didn’t want to tell you because I just don’t know what happened…Joe…and…I don’t…”

      I waited for the tears to fall; I could feel them on my eyelashes. But all that happened was a sudden sinking feeling that grabbed my heart.

      Standing there I could feel a pitter patter of rain fall against my tearless cheeks. Casey grabbed my hand and led me to the shelter of my porch way.

      She turned to me (her eyes having lost the cold) and stared at me with worry. Holding my hand in hers and holding eye contact with me the whole time she asked softly “What happened to Joe?”