Chapter 23: Red Eyed Duel

Yugi, Atem and Tea awoke next to one another in the laboratory where the Mirac-le Machine stood. Shaking Atem was Dr Mirac, who looked very desperate and sorrowful.

"Pharaoh, sir? Are you alright?" panted Mirac, as he violently shook Atem in fear.

"Yes, stop it!" grouched Atem.

"Pharaoh," said Mirac, "I'm so sorry. If I knew my Machine would do all of this, I would have stopped my work, and I would never have stolen those Egyptian God cards of yours."

"We did try to warn you, Doctor." said Yugi.

"I know and I should have listened to you, but I was just so determined to find a way to help others and my Machine did grant some miracles." he replied both repentantly and defensively.

"Indeed it did." said Atem gratefully, "Your Machine saved lives, made people happy and reunited others with loved ones, but now we need to stop these Dark Mirac-les."

"I don't know how." groaned Mirac, "Without the God cards, we can't hope to end this."

"I have Slifer." said Atem.

"Wonderful, sir," gasped Mirac, "but where are the others?"

Atem and Yugi looked displeased.

"Ra is with one of your captors." said Atem, "And Obelisk, I'm not sure. He was in the hands of one of my friends down in that Pit."

"A-and where is he now?" asked Mirac worriedly, seeing the saddened looks on the other three's faces.

"He didn't make it." said Tea, her voice broken with emotion.

Mirac bowed his head in respect for the fallen Bakura. Then he realised the severe consequences of it.

"So is Obelisk gone with your friend?" he asked urgently.

"We don't know, we were separated from him and our other friend, Seto Kaiba." replied Atem.

"We can only hope Zorc hasn't got it now." added Yugi.

Mirac was very disheartened. "There's something else that's worrying me about this War."

"What's that?" asked Atem.

"Supposing we do defeat these menaces," said Mirac, "and supposing we do wipe out these Dark Mirac-les, what if we destroy the good ones too?"

Yugi, Atem and Tea's faces fell even lower than they already had. They hadn't thought of this since Yugi brought it up prior to the beginning of the War, and now that they were in the middle of it, that fear had now dawned upon them once more.

"We'll do our best to prevent that, Doctor." said Atem, refusing to let this awful possibility dwell upon his mind.

"Yes, sir." said Mirac.

"Now, let's see what we can do to this Machine to try and stop this War." said Atem.

So Atem and Mirac immediately set to work, while Yugi and Tea watched, but held hands and turned lovingly and longingly towards each other. They wanted this War to end as soon as possible, in order for them and their friends to move on with their original quest to find a way to get Atem home, so they could start their new lives together.

Meanwhile, Zorc was back in the Mansion as well and he had reached the mini laboratory where he had left Mirac tied up alone.

He entered and saw to his surprise and anger that Mirac had escaped.

"It seems he did not appreciate the comforts I had placed him in," thought Zorc to himself, "but it matters not. In due time, in the main hall of this Mansion, the Pharaoh will come to me for our final battle. And then me and my Shadow Army will destroy and rule this planet!"