Chapter 9

Before returning to Jimin's house, I made a quick stop at a particular gas station.  "Hey Namjoon," I called as I opened the door.

"Seokjin," his unenthusiastic voice sounded. Next thing I know, Namjoon's little crush was making his way to the alcoholic beverages. Should I ask Seokjin what to do if he found out his best friend was gay for him?  Nah, then it would make things with Namjoon obvious.  Well, I could ask Namjoon what he would want Seokjin to do were he to ever find out. I decided against that as well.  I didn't want to talk about it.

"Four," I said to him nonchalantly. In all actuality, my heart is getting ready to jump out of my chest. This makes me so nervous... I'm not used to being a "bad boy." I made my way to the back of the convenient store and entered the bathroom. Seokjin came in shortly after, handing me four green bottles of C1 Soju. I handed over the necessary amount of won for the drinks, plus some for the illegal service he has provided. I thanked him and Namjoon and made my leave.

I hate anxiety.

* * *

I nervously reached for the doorknob only to have the door open before I could touch it.

"Where on Earth have you been, Hoseok," Park-eomma asked in a trembling voice. I could clearly see the worry plastered on her face through her watery brown eyes.

"I've been looking for Jimin," I said innocently, showing a little hint of confusion on my face. I leaned to the side to look behind her, hoping I'd see Jimin, but nobody was there. The tearful, petite woman wrapped her arms tightly around my torso in a protective hug, surprising me.

"I thought I lost you." Her words were muffled by the fabric of my clothes. I didn't really understand what's going on, but I hugged her back anyways. Muffled clinks could be heard with every movement I made, thanks to my alcohol. Thankfully, this went unnoticed. She backed off slowly and took a deep breath before gesturing me inside.

"He came home crying," she informed in a hushed voice. We talked quietly because even though he was taking a bath upstairs, he could probably hear us at a normal volume. Sound travels in this house.

She was leaning against the counter, a mug between her hands. I also had a mug filled with steamy tea. I don't really like it, but it's warming my shaky hands, and the fact that she cares makes my heart warm.

Even so, the longer I'm near her with all this alcohol inside my jacket, the more nervous I get. This shit is noisy and heavy, and it's pretty obvious that the pockets are significantly weighed down. I really don't want to get caught.

"I asked him where you were," she continued, "but all he did was shrug. He went straight to his room without another word. I started to worry because you were absent, but his jacket was not. I feared something had happened to you." I nodded in understanding. I still feel bad for lying to her, even more so than before. I should have been honest.

Knock! Knock! Knock! I knocked on the bathroom door a few times while I said his name.

I heard the sound of metal dropping again, along with some other rushed, muffled movement and water splashing slightly. "Go away," he ordered, "...please."

"But, Jimin, I want to talk. I-I don't know what to do," I said slowly, trying to hold back the tears forming in my eyes. I truly don't know what to do about my friend being gay for me. He was silent for a moment, so I used that chance to speak up again, "I just want to go back to the way we were before."

"No," he snapped back at me immediately, "I can't go back. I-I fucked up, really bad. Really, really bad. And I need you to go. That's all I ask." I sighed and walked into his bedroom. I know this isn't what he meant by 'go.' I know he wants me to go home, and I should go home. It's Saturday, but...