Caged Bird's Melody-Four Embry

The wet ground squished behind my large feet, the rain poured down on me, and my body quivered as I prepared to go into wolf form. I was ready for a good run today. Heat worked its way through my arms and down my spine. It was becoming easier to phase as I got older, more experienced. It still didn't come as easy to me or the others as it did to Jacob though.

I was about to turn and go into the trees whenever there was a honk behind me. I recognized it and the sound of the tires on the wet asphalt. I lost my focus and all the heat was gone, the shivering ceasing. I looked to where the noise came from to see Jake pulling over on the side of the road in his Rabbit. He stuck his head out of the window, a goofy smile plastered on his face. "Didn't I tell you to take a break today?" he said, stepping out of the car. "There hasn't been any activity at all for the past few months. Really no need for us to be out right now."

I shrugged and looked down at my feet, not telling him why I'm out. "Didn't you say you were going to see Nessie today?" I asked him though I hadn't seen him all day. "Isn't she home?"

Jacob's eyes narrowed a bit at the tone of my voice, but he answered, "Yeah. She wasn't home earlier, but she just called me and asked me to come. She and Carlisle were out hunting, a bit of distraction so Edward and Bella could buy her Christmas presents. I was just on my way to see her." He didn't say anything more for a few minutes, but just stared at me, and I knew what he was thinking even though we weren't in wolf form. "Did you and Tiffany have another blowout? Tell me, Embry."

I pushed my hair out of my eyes though it fell back under the weight of the water in it. "Any new news? Don't worry, I'm getting my own house soon." Remembering the argument my mom and I had this morning was helping me to focus on becoming a wolf again, the heat warming up again, the shaking gradually building up. I started backing away from Jacob just in case I phased while he was still near.

But he stepped forward and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Why don't you come see Nessie with me?" he asked me, smiling. "She's been asking about you. You're her favorite, you know."

I hesitated but got in the passenger side of the Rabbit. I smirked slightly as Jacob slid in the car. "I would think Quil would be her favorite," I joked, knowing he really annoyed her sometimes. I knew that came from Edward's side since Bella never really seemed phased by Quil's occasional immaturity.

Jake didn't answer as he glanced at the Clearwaters' house as we passed. The driveway was empty of vehicles - Sue was probably at Charlie Swan's. He sighed and turned his attention to the road again. "I wonder how Seth is," he said. "I hope he's doing okay."

I tapped my fingers on my knees anxiously. Seth was the only one of us still in the pack who went to college. Paul and Sam both decided to go after they stopped phasing (Paul went only because Rebecca practically begged him to). The kid comes back as much as he can though and says he's loving it and is keeping a close watch on vampires at Portland State. "He's a smart kid," I tell him. "He's doing fine. It's not the same as high school, you know."

He nodded. "I know." We were quite for a few more minutes - which I was sort of enjoying - when he spoke up again. "Why don't you go to college? Maybe online classes? Do something normal to keep your mom off your tail (no pun intended). It- Well, it would be good for both of you - you and your mom."

I closed my eyes and leaned my head back on the seat. "You don't think my mom and I have discussed this before? You don't think she's nagged me about it to no end? 'You had the highest grade on your ACTof your class, Embry,'" I mimicked in a falsetto. "'You're not going to get anywhere if you live here for any longer.' 'I'm so disappointed in you - I wish you were different.'" I let out a disgusted snort. "Why are you bothering me about it? Why not Colin or Quil or Justin? And why aren't you going to college, hmm?" I stopped, surprised at the harshness in my voice. I calmly raked a hand through my hair and stared out the window, trying to control my shaking. Neither of us spoke for the rest of the car ride.