Coming closer to the building, I realized it wasn’t a building at all. It was actually a really huge mansion and only looked like a massive building because of its height. Someone was waiting for us at the door, and they stepped aside as Henry dragged me inside. I was hit with a mixture of scents. One was blood. The place reeked of it. The other strong scent was more floral. How odd, for these two scents to mingle together.

The place was freezing. I shivered instantly as the door was closed behind us. Henry shared a few words with the man that let us through, but I couldn’t pay attention to them. My eyes were drawn to the exquisite foyer that we were standing in.

Gold and marble. The entire place was made of it. There were large windows placed against the walls and in the center was a grand staircase that led up to three flights. It was a good distance away from the door. The floors glistened with the overhead lights and I could tell that someone of high power owned this place. There were men standing at every doorway, window, and hall on this floor.

Guards.

“Shit,” Daniel swore in my head. For a moment I forgot that he would be seeing this also.

“What’s wrong?” My thought was panicked.

“He’s taken you to Angelo’s mansion.” Daniel snarled in my head.

Everything froze within me. I stopped listening to Daniel’s frantic voice in my head. I stopped moving. Hell, I stopped breathing. I was in Angelo’s house. Oh. My. God. It was like time stopped as the reality of my situation sank into me, burying itself deep inside my bones. I was yanked out of my silent misery when Henry started dragging me to a door that was under the main stairway.

He opened it and walked through, not even bothering to turn on the light. Trying not to trip down the stairs from lack of light and from the fact that he was practically pulling me down, I stumbled down them using my shoulder as a brace against the wall. I still couldn’t see very well in the darkness. I guess it was because I was still completing my transformation.

Once we got to the bottom, he continued to drag me deeper into the cellar. The smell of decaying rodents and stagnant water met my nose and I scrunched up my face in disgust. There was a small bulb that offered a dim light for the cellar. I could hear some heavy breathing and a heartbeat. Henry dragged me to a door that was made of iron bars. A cell.

“Henry, wait! Lets talk this through.” I couldn’t stop the desperation from seeping into my voice.

“Shut up.” His voice was dark and demanding.

He roughly grabbed me by the shirt and threw me in. Slamming the door closed, I heard the sound of a key and lock, announcing that I was indeed trapped. Why didn’t I run when we were outside? Why didn’t I try to find a way out of this place? Why did I just let him take me?

Because I was stupid and weak. And I couldn’t fight to save my own life. Because I stupidly rushed the bond and delved into a world I didn’t understand. Because--

A click stopped my frantic self loathing. And light immediately followed it. The room was illuminated and I could now see that I was indeed in a cell. There were others lined up against the back wall, but they all seemed empty. What kind of monster has a prison in his basement?

Someone coughed and I knew I wasn’t alone. Their heart struggled to beat, and they were wheezing heavily. It sounded like they were having an asthma attack. The cell to my left. That’s where it was coming from. I couldn’t see anyone but there definitely was the silhouette of a person.

“Daniel. I’m scared.” I thought. Hot fearful tears ran down my face. It was eerily quiet except the agonizing sound of the struggling heart and the wheezing.

“Don’t be scared. I’m coming and I will get you back.” His determination was strong, but it did not soothe me.

My hunger clawed at me from somewhere inside. The sound of this heartbeat was more than I could bare. The person that was in the cell shifted so that their back was bracing against the door. I couldn’t see their face, but his clothes were filthy. Like he had been there for months. His body looked frail and weak, and I could tell that this man suffered for weeks like that.

He turned his face and I was met with familiar blue eyes. No, this couldn’t be. It just couldn’t. But the longer I stared at this man, the more I realized how very fucked up this situation was.

“So, you’ve come at last.” His voice was dry and he coughed a few times. I pitied this man because I knew who he was.

“Darius.” I breathed.

My voice echoed in the almost empty cellar. His eyes that were focused on me began to fill with tears. To see such a strong man, defeated and broken. Weak because he had lost most of his blood to these monsters, well it terrified me. If Angelo could do this to someone as strong as Darius, what was he going to do when he found out about my biggest secret? That the very thing that could instill power in his filthy hands, was in my blood?

I shivered at the thought and swallowed back the fresh tears that threatened to spill from my eyes.

“I tried to warn him, but he didn’t listen. I tried to tell him that bonding to you would be a mistake. You are the biggest mistake of my son’s life.” His dry, weary voice cut me like a sharp blade. I was a mistake.

I didn’t have time to reply, because the door upstairs slowly groaned as it was being opened. Someone was coming, and I was scared to death that it would be Angelo himself.

_______________________

Please vote and comment :) And check out Island, my other story. I'd love some feedback on that as well. -Jess