Prologue

Prologue

Tawnystar felt relieved as she lay beside her mate, a tiny black bundle beside her named Sootkit. She was as beautiful as her father was handsome, and Tawnystar could guess se would be the calm one. Rosekit, on the other paw, was a mischievous kit right from the start. She wriggled around, trying to explore the nest. Tawnystar would pick her up and place her back by her tummy, just for Rosekit to wail in anger.

"That's what we get to play with?" Pinekit asked, poking Sootkit in the ribs. Once Poppyleaf had been assured that him and Birchkit could come back in, he had dashed over to see the new kits, Birchkit tailing behind.

"Hush!" Poppyleaf scolded him. "She'll grow. You were that size too."

Birchkit puffed out his chest. "Were not!"

Pinekit bowled his brother over. "We're as big as warriors!"

Poppyleaf opened an eye to see her two kits tumbling. "Not until your six moons. And your going to grow after that. Now come over here it's time for bed, your going to squish Sootkit and Rosekit."

Birchkit stopped. "Rosekit's pretty!"

"No, Sootkit's pretty!" Pinekit exclaimed to Poppyleaf, already snug under her chest.

Birchkit snuggled under her tail for warmth. "No. Rosekit's super pretty." He mewed sleepily.

Tawnystar looked down at her little black bundle. "Hello Sootkit. I'm Tawnystar, your mother."

Sootkit just wriggled around, finally being eaten up by her tail. She turned to find Rosekit adventuring two mouse-lengths away from the nest. Tawnystar picke her up, setting her in between her forepaws. "Hello Rosekit. I'm your mother." Rosekit just stretched herself out. Tawnystar purred. "Reedstorm."

Reedstorm flicked his ear. "Yes?"

"I'm guessing she'll be the crazy kind." Tawnystar purred.

"We should have called her Troublekit." Reedstorm whispered.

"Good night." Tawnystar meowed quietly, resting her head on the soft moss.

"Good night." Reedstorm whispered back.