XXX

Diarmuid  began to hack some firewood as he thought about what they had said to  the poor old man

     Diarmuid began to hack some firewood as he thought about what they had said to the poor old man. Yes, he had feelings for Arturia, and he figured that out when he saw Lancelot kiss her. He knew that he was jealous, and he still was. Even if Lancelot was gone, he knew that Arturia would never look his way, so he took out his frustration on the logs with the axe in his hands.

     The sound of cracking wood and the feeling of the axe braking the logs under his hand was somewhat relaxing to him. The fresh cool breeze was refreshing as all the work was making him sweat. He removed his tunic and began the work again, sweat glistening down his forehead and his muscles tense. His toned muscles stretched with every swing of the axe, making him calmer.

    He thought about telling her that he liked her, but a knight and a king would never work out... Nevertheless ones from different kingdoms. Even if she actually fancied him in return, social norms would not accept their hypothetical courtship. There was no point in telling her, was there? There were many things that ran through his mind...

    He could not really say that he was in love with her yet—or he was unaware of it. It was hard for him to fall in love with anyone—truly. Grainne was never someone that he truly loved, and Youth could not ever be considered within that category. The Loathly Lady had been much too long ago and he was never sure if she returned his sincere feelings.

     Arturia had been the only woman in a very long time to treat him normally, to see him for the loyal knight that he was; not for a 'fun night' or anything lustful. She was actually someone that seemed to see him as a normal human being.

     "I fancy you," he smiled—no, that would not be good enough.

     What if he kissed her? No, that would be utterly disrespectful if he did not have her permission. He thought of everything else he could say to her hinting that he liked her in a romantic manner without actually telling her that he fancied her.

     Well, now that they were 'married' maybe he would be able to slip it in somewhere.