Chapter 7

^Damian the Demon and his devilishly handsome looks (don't be fooled, ladies, looks can be deceiving, but so can words)

(Edited Chapter)

_____________________________

"Have you done the research on stellar structure?"

"Stella? You mean that girl I hooked up with last year?"

I sighed. This was going to be harder than I thought, and I had already thought it would be hard.

"No, I'm talking about our assignment, which we are supposed to be working on for this lesson," I explained calmly, though my calm was as calm as the seconds before a storm – I was going to crack any second. I glanced at his laptop, which was - surprise, surprise - displaying a wallpaper of a sleek red car with a bikini-clad woman leaning on the bonnet promiscuously.

"What assignment?" Damian asked innocently. Oh, wait, Damian wasn't pretending to be innocent. He actually forgot, meaning all my work for the past week was for nothing.

I slapped a palm to my forehead and sent a prayer to Allah to grant me patience in dealing with this boy. "Do you realize that you're in year twelve now, which means you can't slack off in class anymore?" I felt like a teacher at that moment, which gave me an insight as to why teachers were so irritable all the time. Could you blame them, when they had to deal with kids like Damian Brewer every day?

Damian leaned back in his chair, arms bent behind his head as he stared at me with his signature smirk. "Aw, Mariam, did you actually think I was going to do work?"

I scowled. "My expectations aren't that high, De - Damian." I really had to stop calling him Demon. Even if he was one. "But I was hoping you would at least try."

Damian swung back onto all four legs of his chair and rested his elbows on the desk, piercing me with his gaze as he said, "One thing you should know about me, Mariam – I don't try." He smoothed back his quiff, which he had probably spent more than twenty minutes trying to perfect that morning, and winked – winked – at me, adding, "Besides, all this," he gestured to his whole body, "just comes naturally."

I couldn't help it. I snorted with laughter, hardly believing how inflated his ego really was. Did you think I had been exaggerating when I had said he had a big ego? One thing you should know about me was that I didn't exaggerate. Exaggerating was haram, and so was Damian's ego.

"Why are you laughing?" Damian looked confused, as if his words should've had a different effect on me. Little did he know that he didn't affect me, not at all, except when he got all annoying, but other than that, he was as effective as a bottomless bucket.

"You think," I said between laughs, "that you're so –"

"Attractive? Hot? Sexy?" Damian supplied, much to my annoyance. "Baby, I'm all those."

Astaghfurullah. His cockiness was exactly that of Iblis. "I'm sorry, but all that bullshit you're speaking is stinking up the room," I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

"I think that's just you," Damian whispered, waving his hand in front of his nose and imitating my expression. I glared at him.

"We have a project to do," I reminded him, glancing at Mr. Newton, who was approaching us.

"You mean you have a project to do," Damian countered, just as Mr Newton came up behind him. I grinned triumphantly.

"Mr. Brewer, I really hope you didn't say what I think I heard you say," Mr Newton said in his warning tone. Finally, a little authority to help me out! Now he was back to being my favourite teacher.