Chapter 25

Last chapter

KHARI

An hour or maybe two later, I finally became coming back to my senses. I was sitting on the hood my car still clenching my fists. The niggas that used to work for me that I remained in touch with were calling and texting my phone giving me information on the obvious, Santana was behind all of this. Joshua's sperm donor. My own blood. My father's brother. How could I doubt that he would go this far? And what was all of this paying the cost for? I couldn't blame him though. I could only blame myself for allowing all of this to happen. The closest people to me hurt and killed. It was my job to make sure they were good. I rubbed my temples in frustration. Just because you ignore shit doesn't mean that it will go away. This was all my fault.

I lifted my eyes and recognized a figure heading my way. Coming into focus, I began to noticed it was Joshua and remained quiet. He joined me, silently.

"Ya pops said he need you to call him man." Joshua broke the silence referring to the person I hadn't talked about in forever. I didn't hate my dad, but we didn't speak to each other. We had a weird kind of relationship. He wasn't at home everyday due to his profession, but he did the best he could. I remember when I tried to have a relationship with my father, but I couldn't get in touch with him. I received absolutely no calls on my birthdays, Christmas, nothing. So I stopped trying. I accepted what it was and left it at that. I knew he was dissapointed in my decision, but it would've felt better to not feel so deserted. In my mind, I stopped having parents at 16. I wonder what the fuck he had to say now that was so important.

"Wea lyric at? She good?" I ignored his suggestion.

"Lyric is good. Im serious man."

But for the first time in my life I had go out my pride to the side. At this moment, I felt lost and I needed some form of guidance before I went crazy. I know he heard about what was going down because my father used to be very powerful once. He still had eyes and ears everywhere. Scrolling through my phone, I dialed the number of the cell phone my dad had smuggled into the facility.

It rung a few times before his quiet yet firm voice came over the line. "Son.."

"Wassup old man" I slightly joked. I'd be lying if I said that it didn't feel good to hear his voice. To know that he was good despite everything.

"I should be asking you the same question, you know I'm hardbody nigga." A sly grin appeared on my face for the first time in what felt like days. One thing about my father, he always kept it G.

"Well I leaned from the best. But right now ain't looking too good, I'm fuckin losing it."

"I'm sorry to hear about D, he in a better place now, he can rest." Again, my blood started back pumping at a fast rate. I can't believe this shit happened.

"I remember you boys always outside, playing basketball and Joshua clowning him because he was too short to play like the rest of you." I heard his chuckle with a hint of sadness in it. "Your mother always took his side when he ran to her complaining."

It was true. Dontell was like the little brother we never had. The baby of the family, the spoiled one who would always get his way and told if we bullied him.

I saw Joshua smiling out the side of my eye, obviously hearing my father. He quickly wiped his face from the tears that managed to slip down. The memory came into plain view in my head. I wish shit was like that again. Everything was so simple and perfect. We all had each other.