Chapter One- Carlisle's POV (Edited)

Chapter One 

Carlisle's POV

My girlfriend was amazingly beautiful. Her strawberry blonde hair tumbled down her back in two plaits. She had freckles all over her face. Her dark green eyes surveyed the room. Her eyes caught mine and she gave me a large grin and nearly ran over to me. I beamed back. It was no secret that we were in love. We were best friends as well. When she was closer I went to touch her and remembered too late the barrier between everyone in Raininghill. The world that was once considered normal in the 21st century had long since been destroyed. I recoiled.

"Ow! That is always so painful! I always forget about that damn barrier.' I looked at my sizzling hand.

"You Ok?" said Kayla, looking worried.

I nodded. I hate this, but ever since the World War 4 in the 22nd century a barrier has been put up to protect people from further destruction. Supposedly there were secret labs all around the Government buildings that conduct experiments to avoid all contact or loving gestures, but we were in a world revolved around science, security and a place where all babies are born without names. We were assigned a number at birth. At 18 we were finally given our names, but not by our parents as it should be.

We were in the 25th century. We both moved into the queue to the School Scanners, often shortened to SS. The school's security was quite harsh. We were only allowed our rains and our raining and our school things. The old fashioned names were mobile phones and laptops. We passed the SS and headed to class. Kayla, who had already been through the name ceremony, quite liked her name, so did I. I had mine in only 3 days since I turned 18 then. I was usually called 3001. Before Kayla had her name given to her she was 3000. The 3000s have their classes together, about 1000 students in a huge classroom. When we entered our class we saw our middle age teacher who was 650 years old. Our lifespan was 1300 years old. I really liked her, her name was Ms. Kaitie. She said hello and then called the register.

"Kayla, 3001,.....,3301, Katie, 3303, 3000, Holly..."

When the last girl was called we all sat down. I sat between Kayla and Holly, our best friend. When we said our hellos we sat down and started our work in the lab with our rains, laptops. We worked on our own projects with help from our teacher until lunch time. Once lunch started we all filed out of the room chatting away. We lined up for our lunch, we had modified food. We had never tasted real food before that was only for the government. We spent the rest of our lunch chatting. We then went back to our classes and worked. I was doing a project about Mental illnesses in the 21st century since no one in Raininghill has been ill since the early 22nd century. We all had to take medicine in the morning with our breakfast. 

3 Days Later...  

I woke up by tumbling out of bed unceremoniously to the sound of my alarm clock. Today was the day! I was so nervous. What if I got a terrible name I hated for the rest of my life? Normally the names were decent, but I wanted more than an OK name I wanted a sophisticated, great name.  I quickly showered and got dressed. Suddenly the doorbell rang making me jump out of my skin. It was Kayla. I love that girl. We walked to the ceremony in one of the government buildings. There were three government buildings in our area. This was the one we always had ceremonies and parties since it was the only building in Raininghill and the neighbouring Hills.

This was an important gathering and it happened once a year, every year for people of age or 'name age', 18. Once we get there we split into numbers and names. The leader Raininghill began to speak and a hush fell over the crowd.

"Today we are gathered together as we do every year to celebrate the end of childhood. 18 is a very special age to reflect and learn the importance of Raininghill history. The wars we won and the wars the lost. Now without further ado let the Names begin!!!"