Chapter 20

I'm warning you....this chapter is heartbreaking. And I'm sorry for a late update, I might have a mild concussion lol. But I didn't want to leave you guys with a cliff hanger that cruel :)

I watched in horror as three large men kicked and punched Samuel, his body curled in a fetal position. He was covered in his own blood, his cries and pleas for them to stop echoed in the gruesome and heart wrenching memory. I wanted to look away, but I could't, so I continued to watch as they abused him. They continued to spat out words such as, "You're a freak" or "No one will ever love you." I wanted to tell them to stop, to leave him alone, but I couldn't. He literally had it beaten into him that he's a freak and he'll forever be unloved. The thought sickened me, is this why he was so depressed? He truly believed no one could ever love him?

"Beat him until he's crying like the coward he is!" 

I snapped my head over to see Payton standing there, a smirk plastered on her lips. I clenched my jaw, he was her mate and she did this to him. 

"I want the crown and I'll get it one way or another." she growled."

"Not even your mate could love you...you're worthless!" someone spat.

"Why don't we just end his sorry excuse of a life?" 

When they finally stopped they walked away, laughing at the broken man laying on the ground. He loosened up a bit and cried. His whole body was shaking as he slowly put his arms down and relaxed his legs, he stared ahead as he cried. 

"Samuel?" 

I turned to see Emerald running over, she knelt beside him and cradled him. He seemed to snap back to reality and started freaking out, begging her not to hurt him. She sighed and continued holding him, whispering that she would never hurt him. Ever. 

"Shhhh, Samuel, you're okay now." she soothed, running her hand down his back.

Samuel shook his head and cried into her shirt, the loud sobs made me want to run. I had my own tears running down my face, he looked so broken. He was broken. 

"This is why he tried to not fall in love with you, why he has such anger sometimes. This....is the main root of his depression. He hates himself, no matter what. But he's trying for us, for you. He doesn't want to leave you, he loves you." my wolf explained.

I swallowed, "I-I want to go back. I want to leave this memory."

"Very well." 

I closed my eyes, when I opened them again I was met with the sleeping form of Samuel. I cried and wrapped my arms around him, my heart aching for him. How could they do this to him? How Payton hurt her own mate? Samuel suddenly stirred in my arms, drawing his eyebrows together in confusion. When he saw me crying his eyes widened with concern, he quickly sat up and cupped my face.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" he whispered, searching me for any sign of injury.

I swallowed, "They...they beat you..."

He tensed up, his eyes moving to look at me. "Who?"

"Those three men...and Payton encouraged them to." I whispered.

Samuel swallowed, he scooted away from me and hugged his knees to his chest. I watched as he stared at the bed, the tears pooling in his eyes. I crawled closer to him, gently placing my hand on the side of his face.

"Samuel...please...don't shut me out." I pleaded with him, not being able to handle it.

He smiled sadly at me, "I can't exactly do that, huh? You could easily just look at my memories..." 

"Are you mad?" 

"No...I just didn't want you seeing how weak I am." he whispered. "They were right, you know? I am worthless." 

I shook my head, "Samuel, you're not-

"Yes I am!" he suddenly snapped. "Goddess, I couldn't protect you, Arabella! I got stabbed in my own castle by the very man who raped you! None of my guards cared, no one did. No one ever had respect for me and I...I thought you wouldn't either. I loved you so much and still do, but I hurt you! I made you feel like shit....I threw on a strong mask but I'm just the same worthless coward that I was years ago!"

"Samuel-

"No! No more! Just stop it! Please! I know what I am and nothing is going to change that. Just...come to terms with it. I've accepted it, you should too." he sighed.

I studied him, he looked so defeated as he continued to sit there. Tears rolled down his cheeks, but I didn't dare wipe them away. I could tell he was in an unstable state right now and to be honest, I was afraid to do anything. 

"Why are you doing this to yourself?" he whispered, looking at me.

I frowned, "Doing what?"

"Torturing yourself...by staying with me. You could be happy, you wouldn't have to deal with a mate who's a pathetic excuse for a king. I'm a waste of life. A bastard child." He spat, anger in his eyes.

"How can you say that? If I didn't want you then I wouldn't be carrying your baby! I would have left you to be shot by that hunter on that night. I wouldn't give a damn about you, but damn it, Samuel...I care about you! I'm not torturing myself! I love you, you stupid asshole! I love you more than anything and I want to marry you. I want to live the rest of my life with you! Your father, your real father loves you! My parents love you! Emerald loves you! 

Why can't you see that? Why are you torturing yourself by telling yourself this? I am not losing you to your own dark thoughts! You have a baby on the way, you fucking idiot! You're torturing me by doing this! Saying such cruel things about yourself!" I yelled, my own tears rolling down my cheeks.

"I am not leaving you, no matter how hard you try to push me away." I whispered.