30. The Final Test

David glances back to make sure he still sees Gary's jeep. "Stop doing that, your making me nervous." Candy says as she glances at David.

"I'm sorry, I can't help it. I've gotta protect him and Akira. They both only have one life left." David says as he shakes his head.

"Oh shit, that's right. I'm sorry." Candy says as she crosses her arms.

Eb turns to look at Brian, "Why the school?"

Brian glances at her then shrugs his shoulders, "I feel like it'll be the safest place for us and it won't be so close to anyone to get hurt or killed."

"So the rules say we just have to survive this last event and then we're free? Does that mean we have until 12?" Candy curiously asks as she leans forward to talk to Brian.

Brian shrugs his shoulders, "To be honest, I'm not sure. But that's our safest bet for now." Brian says as he looks back at her and gives a soft smile.

Carl and Casey stare out the window, "I'm scared." Casey says as she begins to shake a little.

Carl glances at his sister and rubs her shoulder, "We'll be okay. We have Jason, Emanuel and the others with us. They won't let anything bad happen to us, right?" Carl asks as he looks at the front where Emanuel is driving and Jason in the passenger seat.

Jason looks to Emanuel who has a frown on his face, "Listen, we'll do our best to have each other's back. But I can't make any promises that we'll make it out of this alive." Emanuel says as he lets out a deep sigh. Jason slightly hits him in the arm.

"What?"

"That's not the kind of comforting they need right now. Carl, Casey, you can't solely rely on us to help you through this. You both will need to pull your own weight in this." Jason says as he turns back to look at them both.

Emanuel frowns in confusion, "How is that any better?"

Gary checks Akira's phone to see it on the verge of dying, "Damn." He says as he sets it back down.

"We'll be okay. We have to be, what's the worst that could happen, right?" Akira says as she awkwardly laughs.

They suddenly hear rocks crumbling and cracking loudly around them, Gary looks out his window and sees large cracks appearing on the road. "You just had to say something!" Gary cries out as he looks back to Akira, whose face is as white as a ghost.

"I'm sorry!"

Brian and the others hear the road cracking and crumbling, "Oh shit!" Brian cries out when a chunk of the road crumbles away into the ground, he swerves around as does the other two cars.

"What the fucks going on!?" Candy cries out as she quickly puts on her seat belt.

"I don't know!" David shouts as he too puts on his seat belt.

"The school is a few blocks away, we're almost there!" Brian happily cries out as he makes a quick left. Akira screams as a tree falls down in front of them, Akira and Gary screams as the Jeep rams into the thick tree. The jeep flips up over the tree, flipping twice in the air before landing upright again.

Brian drives onto the school parking lot, everyone dashes out of the car. The four of them run to the school steps, they look at the road and see Emanuel driving up as well. They pile out and meet up with the others.

Everyone anxiously watches the road, waiting to see Gary's yellow jeep. After a minute of waiting they begin to get anxious.

"Where the fuck are they? They were right behind us." Emanuel says aloud as he walks down a few steps.