I believe in Aliens!

This is a rant!!

Yesterday was my first day of school.

The same as any other school day, but it marks the end of the freedom you once had.

I walked into my speech class and there were only 20 of us in all. I don’t really like small classes. They want you to answer questions all the time.

On the board was the word ‘BELIEVE’. Shortly after we were all settled the teacher walked in and started talking. He gave the rules talk you get in every class the first day.

Then he starting talking about what we would be doing in the class. We were to start off with something simple by talking about what we believe in.

Everyone pretty much went straight into religion. Then a debate started going on. The teacher noticed I wasn’t saying anything and called me out on it.

He said something along the lines of “Mr. MacKay don’t you have something to add to the discussion?”

I said something along the lines of “I believe in God and everything but I think it is foolish and a waste of time to debate about it. I don’t like to talk about what I believe in as far as religion goes.”

Then he sits in a chair backwards. I guess he was trying to look like one of those cool teachers. “Well then Mr. MacKay…What do you believe in that you would like to talk about?” I wasn’t really like the way he kept saying my name.

All eyes were on me and I decided I was going to be a truthful but smartass answer.

“I believe in Aliens.” I said it like I was kidding. A few people laughed.

“Do you care to elaberate?” He was trying to make a fool of me.

“Okay…”

“You mind coming up front? That is how you would present a speech.”

“Of course not.” I walked up to the front of the class as slowly as I could trying to think of what I was going to say.

“I believe in Aliens because…” I said that 2 or 3 times before I came up with something.

“I believe in Aliens because…What makes Earth so special?  Our sun is a star out of billions and billions. What are the chances there isn’t another planet in all existence that has or had life on it? To say that the 6.5 billion of us, humans are the smartest and most evolved. Even if we are, I can’t make myself believe that we are alone. That there is nothing else out there. We don’t even know what’s in our own oceans. So how can we say that this is it? I don’t believe that Aliens abduct people or that our government has captured any. I think that would start a war and they would kill us all. But I believe that there has to be something else out there.”

The teacher still looked shocked that I had something to say. As I was walking back to my seat this girl called out.

“Brooklyn if you believe in Aliens, how can you believe in God?” I just looked at her. The first thing I wanted to do was throw a string of insults at her but I couldn’t do that in class. I didn’t know how to begin to answer the question. This girl also said early that she didn’t believe in God and that total cool with me but wasn’t cool that she was questioning me. “You’re a Christian right?”

“That is true.” I staring at her wishing for her to go away.

“If there are other beings out there which you do believe, Why would God send his only son to Earth. This planet full of hate and violence. What makes Earth so special that God would choose it out of who knows how many others?”

The whole time she was talking I was thinking ‘someone is a tree hugging hippie’. She had this all knowing, I’m better than you attitude when she talk. And I was starting to hate this girl.  But I answered her silly question anyway.

“I don’t know why you’re asking me this. I’m only human. I don’t know that answers you want. I might be wrong about everything I believe in. There may not be a God. We maybe alone. Earth might just be a cosmic fluke and there is no reason to why we are here. That there is no meaning to life because there is no reason for us to be here.

You’re right. This planet is full of hate and violence. We are destructive, people are destroying the place we all call home. Knowing that there is nowhere else for us to got. And we won’t be the only ones paying for it because we aren’t the only things on Earth. We kill each other for no reason, hate for no reason.

We live in a world where people die of hunger but at the same time there are people dying because they eat too much. A world where people are being born without working bodies. Children dying way too young. How could a God let that happen? You asked me how could I believe in God.

Well I do because that’s what my parents believe and that’s what they taught me. But I continue because of the ‘What if’. What if there is a reason to this madness? What if Heaven and Hell are real places? What if God is real? Would if hurt anything if I do believe in God, to be able to go to a perfect place after I die. Just for being a good person and believing?

It may all be bullshit made up by the small and weak minded who were seeking control. But What if.

I can’t ignore that what if. I don’t believe everything the Bible says but  I do believe in God. You can look at it as a ‘just in case’. Okay?” I then walked back to my seat not waiting for her to answer.

The teacher talked about the flow of my rant and how to fix it to be my speech like also how some parts were argumentative instead of informative. For the paper I have to turn in on Wednesday. There was still an hour left in the class so I zoned out. They were talking about gay people or gay marriage of something.

But I really hope that teacher is done calling on me for the rest of the year. And I hope to never ever have to talk to that girl. She is one of the people you instantly hate. I don’t even know her name yet.