8

"Hello Professor Dumbledore" the two boys said, respectively, as they made their way into his office.

"Hello boys, McGonagall" Dumbledore replied back, "what brings you here?"

"Good evening, Professor Dumbledore" McGonagall said, as she walked ahead of the two boys and stopped in front of Dumbledores desk. "Mr. Kendall and Mr. Liguori have something to ask you"

"Ah yes," Dumbledore nodded, "I wondered when I'd be seeing you two here" "Especially you, Christopher" He added.

Chris was worried and if he had to be honest, a bit fearful. But he didn't let it show. Gryffindors aren't supposed to get scared. Gryffindors are brave. They're not scared of anything. And he was a Gryffindor.

"Professor" he said, looking up at at the Headmaster, "Pj and I came to ask you a question"

"Yes, we have established that" Dumbledore said and Chris and Pj mentally facepalmed. Of course he knew that, McGonagall just told him.

"Yeah..." Pj began, seeing how awkward Chris was, "what Chris meant was. Could we possibly talk to the Sorting Hat"

"Talk to the Sorting Hat? Why would you like to talk to it?" Dumbledore questioned, but everyone in the room knew that he knew exactly why.

"I would like to talk to the Sorting Hat to ask why it had sorted me in Hufflepuff" Chris admitted, honestly.

"Alright"

"..alright?" Chris questioned.

"Alright, you may speak to the hat" Dumbledore replied, simply.

"Wow, really Professor?!" Both Pj and Chris exclaimed, at the same time.

"Of course" Dumbledore nodded, "the boy should know why he was put in the house he was put in"

"I agree, professor" Chris said, happily and Pj smiled.

Dumbledore reached over to grab the old hat from shelf and handed it to Pj, who was the nearest.

Pj turned to Chris and the hat "woke up".

The hat said nothing. So Chris decided to speak up, "hello, Sorting Hat. I have come to ask you a few questions."

"Like, 'why are you a Hufflepuf, when your whole family are Gryffindors?'" The hat asked.

"Yes, that exactly, actually" Chris nodded.

"I see, I see." The hat said, "well, you came here for a answer and who would I be if I didn't give you one"

Chris smiled, then looked up from the hat to the smiling face of Pj, who was still holding the hat, "Thank you" he said and Pj nodded, proudly.

"You're welcome Kendall" the hat replied, "but I have not told you anything yet"

Chris sighed and Pj shook his head, slightly, while trying to suppress a laugh.

"You see, Kendall, Liguori. Many years ago, I was created by the four founders of Hogwarts. Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff, and Salazar Slytherin. I was given the ability to place Hogwarts students into the house they seem they belong in and would strive in. And though you may come from the longest pureblood Gryffindor family, that does not mean you will be immediately be sorted into Gryffindor. I saw many a Hufflepuff qualities in you." The hat explained and Chris's face dropped.

"But that does not mean I did not find any Gryffindor" the hat added, "though they are concealed. Hidden. In need to break through. And only then, you will be a true Gryffindor"

"So, does that mean I have a chance of redeeming myself and becoming an Gryffindor?" Chris asked, hopeully.

"Only time will tell." The hat replied, "But until then, I bid you good luck and farewell."

And with that, the hat became a hat once again.

"Thank you Headmaster" the two boys, as they were making their way outside of his office.

"Farewell, both of you." The Headmaster replied.

As the two boys had turned around and were making their way up the stairs, Dumbledore called out to them one last time. Causing them to stop on the third step.

"Yes, Headmaster?" The two boys asked.

Dumbledore smiled, one last time before saying "You know, sometimes I think we sort too soon".

Then the doors to his office disappeared. Almost like magic.