Headlights

Sorry that I took so long to update this book, I wanted this chapter to be as good as it could be since it's the last so I chose not to rush writing it. :)

------------------

Some people are not destined to stay with the love of their life. It's logic, a fact. It's impossible for that kind of happiness to befall everyone; life is cruel. But as least they got an epic love story in its place, one that rivalled the likes of Tristan and Isolde, one that they could tell their children all about one day, something that could easily be mistaken as only a fictional story. 

Avi was uncertain he would get even that. 

All they did was fight and make up, she'd be angry, he'd sing and they were fine again. That was all they were, that was all they probably would be. Their romance was not epic, not a fairytale. Their love story was just a sheet of musical notes that would eventual end, they survived on romantic ideas only, they were a mess...Just two separate disasters that loved each other.

-

"I'm sorry."

"Me too."

-

When he left the diner that night he did not expect he would end up giving up on them. He thought that he could just sing his way out of it like he'd done many times before, he thought everything would be fine for good, he thought they'd be happy. However, he soon found out that thinking things does not make them reality.

It was Kevin that started it. Avi had text him asking to borrow his guitar but all he got back in reply was 'not again'. It made him think how many times he had asked him that, how many times he had resorted to what made her fall in love with him. It was an easy way out, a way to mask the mountain of problems they had, it never did resolve anything.

-

"We can't do this anymore."

"I know."

-

She understood. She agreed with him. Well, at least he thought she did. 

They were just not meant to be, not then anyway. Maybe they were right for each other, maybe she was 'the one', but they certainly weren't supposed to be together at that time of their lives. 

They just weren't healthy for each other.

-

"I need to sort my life out."

"Me too."

"It's not fair for either of us to stay in this relationship while we are unstable."

"No."

-

He left.

He left her crying in her apartment and it broke his heart.

It had to be done. Every time they thought things would get better they didn't. It wasn't fair.

-

"Please don't do this."

"I have to."

"How do you know what I want!"

"That's the thing...I have no clue."

-

Esther got married. Apparently Scott had moved into Mitch's apartment. Diana never made it in New York. Life went on, and so did his.

The record company he was signed to welcomed him to LA with open arms. It wasn't what he wanted but it was where he needed to be. A year or so of working on his music and his publicity gave him a stable career, one in which he could live anywhere and still make music, one where he had already created enough support that his label gave him a lot of slack.