Chapter Twenty-Three

During the night – where I couldn't sleep, I was constantly turning and fidgeting – Justin got up at 4 A.M. before leaving the room. I presumed he didn't know I was awake. I read the note, it stated that he was going back to Erick's house and he'll be back in the morning.

I ended up turning on the TV. The TV programs they have are boring – and they only had a few.

I finally fell asleep at 8 A.M. but woke up again at 11. Justin didn't come back yet, even though he said he would.

A nurse walked in. "Hi, Selena. Sorry I couldn't introduce myself yesterday, I was in a rush. My name is Hailey, and I am your nurse," she says, smiling.

She walks over to the bed and hands me the same pills from yesterday, with a fresh cup of water. She smiles at me again and walks back out of the door, but gets stopped by someone in the corridor.

I put the pill in my mouth and drink it down with water. I really hate taking them.

"When will she be allowed to go home?" I hear a familiar voice – Justin's voice, echo around the room. My lips twitched upwards and I felt excited to see him, for an odd reason.

"I'll get back to you," the nurse says before walking away.

Justin's head pops around the corner, making me smile more. He smiles back at me and comes into the room. "Hey, beautiful." I scoff at his nickname he gave me. I am really not in the 'beautiful' state; I have no make up on, my hair is a mess, my brags are most probably really bad right now.

He comes and sits on the bed, facing me. He continues to smile at me. "What?" I question him.

"Nothing."

"Then why you staring at me and smiling? Do I have something on my face?" My hand instinctively comes to my mouth, wiping away any dirt that could've been there.

"No, no. Selena, you're fine," he reassures me, laughing.

His hair was slicked back, he was wearing a nirvana top, showing off his tattoos, and jeans with cuts in them.

Justin brings out a carrier bag. Inside, there was leggings, a hoodie – his – and a top with long sleeves

"I brought my hoodie, just incase, because I know you like wearing them," he says and smirks at me. It's true. "Put it on."

I put on the leggings and his hoodie, with Justin's help. He helps me stand up from the bed, carefully, and holds my hand once I'm standing. He starts taking me out of the room, into the hallway.

"Where we going, Justin?" He looks at me, not saying anything. There was a huge smirk on his pink lips.

We went outside and sat down on a bench outside of the hospital. It was actually a nice view. Justin puts his arm over my shoulders and I was leaning on his chest. We were silent, but enjoying each other's presence.

"Any news? About the boys?" I ask Justin.

"They're fine. They're hurt, but fine." He clears his throat. "We're having a funeral...for Zac."

"Really? That's good, I guess. When is it?"

"Soon." He looks down, fiddling with my hair, showing that he was a tad uncomfortable with this.

"Let's go get something to eat."

. . .

"We are here today to celebrate the life of Zac..."

I always hate funerals, mind you, I hardly go to any, but it's devastating. I just hate it. All the men are in black suits, and girls are in a plain black dresses. Some people were crying, and some weren't. Justin was next to me, I was hugging his left arm.

I left the hospital a week ago. They let me out earlier since I told them I had to go to a funeral. I have to go in weekly for check-ups though.

The funeral ended. Justin wanted to hang around at the grave, I went to the car to give him space.

"Hey," a guy called out behind me. I turn around. It was Ed.

"Hey," I smile at him. "How are you?"

"I-I'm fine, well, not fine," he speaks, his voice shaky. "What about you? I heard about what happened."

"I'm okay. It still hurts a bit though," I tell him.

"Where's Justin?"

"He's still over there." I point out at Justin, who's not too far way from sight. He was by the new grave set for Zac, staring down at it. Ed doesn't look at him, but just continues to stare at me.

"I'm s-sorry," he stutters. He looks away, looking at the ground. I hear him sniffle. He tucks his hands into his black jeans pocket. He looks back up to me; I noticed his eyes were becoming glossy.

"It's my fault. Zac could be alive r-right now, and Nick would be underneath the ground! I-I can't tell how much I regret not shooting him. I could have shot Nick right there and then, but I didn't. Zac fell to the ground, it shocked me, I froze. I had a chance! For Zac! But I, I didn't do it. I don't know why," he stutters, a tear shamelessly sliding down his rosy cheek. I wrap my arms around him, tightly.

"It's not your fault. You will have the chance, soon." I feel him shake his head no on my shoulder. I can try to reassure him, but no matter what, guiltiness eats you up.

I felt a hand on my back. I bring my arms back to my side, stepping away from Ed. Glancing to the side to see who was there, Justin was staring ahead at Ed, pain evident in his eyes. He weakly smiles at me then hugs Ed. The hug only lasted for a few seconds.

"Selena, we better get going for your check up," Justin spoke. 

"Yeah." I look back at Ed. I saw my goodbyes. Ed nods, not saying anything in response, but continue to look at the ground.

"See you later, Ed." Justin and Ed fist bumps then goes their separate ways. I follow behind Justin.

Justin gets into his car and I get in after him. "You okay?" I ask almost immediately.

He looks to me. "Yeah," he says before sighing. "Let's get going." He starts the engine of the car, preparing to driving off.

. . .

"Miss. Gomez!" A lady shouts from behind a desk. I get up, walking over to the young lady. "Room 9," she informs me where the doctor I am meant to meeting is.

I turn to Justin, who's by my side. "Wait here for me." I walk away before he can object.

Entering the room I was told, I greet the male doctor, "Hi."

He smiles at me. "Miss. Gomez, good to see you. Take a seat, please," he says. I sit on the chair opposite him. "Now, as you know, we done a blood test two weeks ago, before you left the hospital."

"Yes," I reply to him, nodding my head also.

"Now, the news I'm about to share is good. And you're very lucky that the bullet did not harm anyone."

"Sorry?" I admit, confused. Anyone? I am the only one that got shot.

"Miss. Gomez, you're pregnant."