3 Mar 2011

Nice Lunch With Misfits etc. 3 Mar 2011

Hmm, my current chapters all seem to be super long. This cannot be good for my health (as I typed a lot of it at night, when I should really be sleeping).

3 March 2011, Thursday

Getting up still felt like torture, even though I put away all electronic devices at around midnight. Mom was a bit sick with a cold, I think, so I went to school by way of Dad's silver Mazda 5. While we were waiting at a ridiculously long red light, she showed me the promotional video of the 'Smart Cover' for the new iPad 2. It looked rather intriguing, but was not sold separately (it's not sold together, either). And it doesn't work with the current iPad. Apple's marketing skills are admirable. By that, I mean underhanded. Okay, just kidding. But they do make more money this way.

I'd decided to thread my earphone cord through my jacket before school, so I listened to music almost all the way from home to the classroom. It felt good. Breaking small rules like this feels oddly liberating. Or maybe I'm just a teenager.

All that studying for Science during yesterday's night study paid off (I think I spent at least an hour on it). I got a 90! On Science! It's such a rarity that I can't help but smile, even though the Science teacher said (first period was, pretty conveniently, Science) that this paper is easier. Oh, and everyone agrees with it, actually.

I was still feeling really sleepy after Science, but jogging down to the library in the cold weather, and talking to Alice some, helped. I brought a teabag and a lot of sugar, added hot water from the library's water cooler, and kept stirring while I was chatting with Alice. I added a creamer when I got back.

Oh, and when I was on my way down there, a couple of boys from my class rushed down the stairs carrying a basketball. Apparently, Miss Chen has allowed them to play ball again. Good for them, although I don't think I'll be going anymore. For one, I already have something to do during break.

Pan, who was sauntering along leisurely behind me, said to Leo (or someone), "Look! Even Laurence wants to be on the same team as me, and that's why she's walking so slowly!"

Laughing, I told him that I wasn't going to play ball with them.

Actually, he was right, in a way. If I did end up playing with them, I'd want to be on either Pan's or Martin's team. Pan is good enough at the sport, is really nice, and is quite good at catching backboard balls (it happens whenever I try to put the ball through the hoop and miss. Which is practically all the time, anyway). And he always encourages the rest of us to just go ahead and do it, he'd cover up for us. Even when I'd rather just pass the ball to him. It's truly heart-warming. In a funny way.

Thankfully, by the time second-period English rolled around, I was already sufficiently alert due to the frigid morning air (actually, it was in no way limited to the morning) and the physical exertion of running back and forth from the library.

English was quite fun, as our "Reading" for this chapter was about the Guinness World Records. Miss Chen shared a few records that she's looked up with us; they were really interesting/funny/gross. (An Indian man held the record for 'Longest Ear Hair', something like 25cm. Is that disgusting or what?)

Damnably, the stupid exercises during the twenty-minute break had started again this week, so we were shooed out of the library by the librarian and told to come back when we'd finished it. Of course, most no one in the whole school bothered to do it (except for a couple of 8th graders), and we were no different. We just wandered about the school.

While we were waiting for Alice at the toilets, Yvonne pulled me aside and told me to meet her at the 9th grade teachers' office during lunch, before going to the library. At first, I didn't get why she was talking in such hushed tones, but then I realized that she was trying to tell me it had something to do with Alice.