22 Jan 2011

22 January 2011, Saturday

I must be insane. I've done zero work today! Aargh!

I slept in until, you wouldn't be able to guess…12:30! Yes, I love sleeping when I can. Alice has to go to mock TOEFL exams today, so we're not going to the library, and that means I have absolutely nothing to do.

Anyway, at around twelve, sounds from the outside world began to filter into my ears. Someone then came into my room and said, "Time for lunch!" I groaned my understanding and got out of bed for a lunch of (unhealthy, I know) fast food.

I haven't been home during Saturday for weeks now; I've always been out with Alice. As was the norm before I started going to the library, Victor and I watched TV while eating. I retired back to my room when I was finished and checked my e-mail on the iPhone (it's becoming increasingly useful to me; too bad Victor is always snatching it away from me). Imagine my surprise when I found not one, not two, but eight review alerts in my inbox! I was so excited, and having something to do in place of work, I replied back right away.

At around three thirty, Victor came in and asked if I wanted to go to a shop in Guting to play on an iPad with him and Dad. Of course, seizing any excuse to keep postponing my work, I agreed. We each rode our bikes there, and the weather was even dry for a change. I brought the iPhone along to listen to music, and all in all, the short trip there was quite pleasant.

There was a display table of Apple computers and iPads, for people to play with there. Since they were all occupied, we drifted off to look at other laptops on display. I really want to have one of my own, but I don't have the money, and even if I did, I doubt my parents would let me have one.

When we finally got our hands on one iPad each (there were four on display there), I proceeded to surf online and Victor immediately started playing games, while Dad looked on. It felt just like an enormous iPhone…really fun! Although typing on it still felt weird. I think Dad had asked one of his students to buy one for him when he goes to Hong Kong (it's much cheaper over there), along with the iPod Nano 6th generation that I wanted. I still have to pay with my own money for that, though. At least we always get a lot of money from relatives during Chinese New Year (it's a Chinese custom of married people giving money in 'red packets' to their unmarried relatives. Awesome, I know!).

I saw a wrist strap for the iPod Nano to use to become a watch there, and was instantly entranced. Even though I'm allergic to metals (Probably because there is always nickel or something in alloys; I can wear pure gold/platinum/titanium though. But they're darned expensive), I can still probably find a way to make it work for me…

There was an Xbox demo there as well. Victor initially started trying to play it, but when I told him it was a 'psychological horror thriller' (it said so on the box somewhere) he yelped and let go of the console. He is scared of a lot of things. He went on to look at Wii discs, because we have a Wii at home. There's not much chance of getting a game disc, though. Mom and Dad only bought it because it could be used to exercise. Otherwise, they'd never buy us any kind of video game.

Both Victor and I got to use the computer when we got home. I typed up another chapter of this; it's becoming addictive. I messed around in my room until it was time for dinner. I finished half of it and went to practice the piano. Mom and Victor then went out for math class, and Dad went to swim, so I got out the laptop again while finishing my dinner.

After a bit, I decided to go shower, then started to practice erhu (I've got lessons on Monday. Oops. I haven't practiced at all) when Dad got back.

I think I managed to finish that before Mom and Victor came back. Victor came back first, and informed me that the Hero Factory TV show was premiering on television today. Against my better judgment, I went out and watched it. The plotline is much simpler than Bionicle (its predecessor, of which I'm rather a big fan of), and was obviously aimed at younger kids. And it was all in Chinese, which meant that the names were ridiculous and the voices were weird. Too bad.

I went to sleep after hanging around Mom and Dads' room watching harmonica videos with them (They met because of it. Both of them were in the harmonica club during both high school and university). I soon got tired and went to bed, where I stayed up a while looking things up on the iPhone. I know, I'd actually be better off without it; I'd get more sleep.