Chapter 15: Accidents Happen

The combination of pinks and yellow sunsets transform into a dark and cold sapphire night. Green leaves are dancing and swaying left to right as they flow to the rhythm of the wind. The street pole lights are medium dimmed to mark the night. In the kitchen, the boom box blasts out cool and chilly music. The TV is shut off, lights upstairs are turned off, and all that is glowing in the corner is my laptop set up on my lap.

   As for Harry, he gazes out the window watching nothing, but the beautiful landscape outside. We live in the city part of London which means that lights downtown are turned on at night. Harry closes up the curtain and plops himself next to me. He glimpses towards my screen as his curls bounce up and down from the shaking movement from his head. He gently takes the laptop away from me, shutting it down and putting it further away from my reach. On a Sunday night, there isn’t much to do really. We didn’t feel like cuddling and watching a movie tonight like we usually do. To be honest, it’s rare for us to skip on cuddling and holding each other.

   I wanted to retrieve my processor back, but the thought of arguing and wasting time was dull and simply wasteful of life. Instead, I cross my arms over my chest and stare at him. In return, he cheekily smiles and leans in to poke my cheek. Giving him the silent treatment won’t help to retrieve it either.

   My eyes wonder around the room to fill in time before bed. On the other hand, Harry rises up from the lounging couch and slips on his jacket. He puts his beanie over his curls and zips up his jacket. He grabs my sweater from the hook and tosses it over. A confused look occurs on my face. Who would be up at 11 at night? Well, unless he wants to head over to the grocery store to fetch some ice cream, I’d be up for it.

   “Let’s go out.” Harry states. I shake my head, not wanting to get up from my comfortable position. My legs are propped up on the coffee table, head hung back on the leather couch, and my back slouched in the best feeling. I’ve been walking all day anyway just to greet some fans on my errands.

   I shrug my shoulders, “Depends where we’re going babe.” Harry pouts his lips. Harry walks over to me and kneels down. For a second, I thought he was going to propose. He gently takes my hand, stroking my arm as he tries his best to plead. I guess this is where I get my pleading from when I do this to my best friend, Leigh.

   “Let’s go out and walk for a bit. Enjoy the last day of winter before he it heads over to spring. Plus, no one is out at this time anyway. They’re all at home sleeping and heading to work the next day. Ugh, Monday anyway! I promise we’ll be back in less than thirty minutes.” I sigh and nod my head. A smile forms on his face as he leans in to plant a quick yet romantic kiss on my lips.

   I slip on my jacket and outdoor walking sneakers. And Harry was right. Today was the last day of winter. No more cold and shivering nights at home, the beautiful snowflakes flowing down from the afternoon skies, and drinking a mug of hot chocolate after playing in the snow with Leigh or Harry. I preferably enjoyed winter than summer. It was always Harry’s best excuse to himself to snuggle and cuddle closer to me when he declared he was cold at night. Who wouldn’t take that offer though? But then again in summer, you get to wear bikinis and less clothing layers such as a tank top under a sweater to keep yourself warm through the day.

   “I’m going to miss winter.” I whispered.

   Harry nods his head in agreement, “Me too. But hey, Rosie! In spring I can surprise you with flowers since its flower season.” I lightly pat my hand on his chest chuckling. Silence erupts in our walk afterwards. No longer, we have topics to think or talk about. We always had random moments like this where we would lose contact for a minute. It wasn’t awkward for us to have this. It’s just a simple way of beautiful silence for us.