Chapter Twenty Five Raven

I sighed as I looked down at the picture that I held and smiled, it was an old one back before mom had been told; mom was sitting on the couch with her legs on dad’s lap her head against his neck. They didn’t have the TV going instead they were listening to music and enjoying each other’s company. Dad was holding mom’s hand and had his thumb rub back and forth in small circles.

            Sort of like how Andy does it, I thought, a ghost of an “I’m in love smile” appeared then.

            My parents didn’t know that I was standing there, watching them with my camera in hand. After the picture was taken I just stayed there and watched them be still as rocks, not even moving once the song ended. I was jealous of their love, wishing that I had somebody to love me just as much as my father loved my mother, as much as my mother loved my father.

            “We were high school sweet hearts,” Mom said, getting that look in her eyes as she stared off into space. I rolled my eyes and continued eating my cereal just as dad came in to the kitchen in his white dress shirt with his tie sitting on his neck under the collar yet to be tied.

            “She captured my love without even realizing it,” My dad added, his eyes full of love as he kissed my forehead only for me to wipe it off. He rolled my eyes jokingly, I was going through a faze they always said these days.

            “I still wonder how I did it.” She mused with a smile.

            “Maybe it was a certain small, tight black dress,” My father would say while mother jokingly smacked him as she did his tie for him. They laughed and started to kiss.

            “Oh that’s gross, get a room,” I said, scrunching up my nose, it was weird to see parents kissing. Dad pulled away from mom and looked at me, my eyes widened and I started running around the house as they chased me, our laughter ringing throughout the entire house.

            Surfacing from the memory I pulled out my old camera that gave you the picture right away, and took a picture of myself, smiling. I got a pen and envelope as I shook the picture so that it would dry faster. I’ve been on the road with the guys for a week now and it’s been nothing but fun except for that one night when they tried to get me to drink. My suitcase and duffel bag were on the bus and Jon was able to get someone to drive my car back to my house from a moving company.

            I wanted to send a letter to my dad but I didn’t know what to write, so as I waited for the picture to dry, I started trying to write something, I of course screwed up several times until I perfected it, somewhat.

Saturday March 16, 2013

Dear Dad,

            Hi dad, I hope you got this letter and didn’t throw it away once you read who it was from, it’s been a week since I’ve left, and we’ve been on the road going to different states for concerts only spending a day or two in one state sometimes, sometimes not. But it is fun and I enjoy it. Andy and I have been great, he was so happy to see me when I finally caught up to him. The guys keep me laughing and having so much, there hasn’t been a dull moment, and they’re happy to have me on tour with them as well. I’m sending you two pictures, and I hope you keep them. The first one is of the gang and the other is of me. I’ll write again soon.

Sincerely,

Raven.

            Slipping the letter in folded I took the two pictures in my hand and flipped the first one over.

            From Left to Right,

            CC, Jinxx, Andy, Jake, and Ashley

            On the second one I wrote,

            Saturday March 16 in the great state of Texas, were everything is BIG! 

            I wrote the addresses on the envelope and finally put the pictures in licking it so that it stuck. I gagged a bit and ran to the kitchen and turned the facet on, letting my tongue lap up the water.

            “You know, you look a lot like Crow when you do that, or any cat in general.” I lifted my head and looked at Andy who seemed amused at this. I just stuck my tongue out at him before going back to what I was doing. I heard his boots as he came into the kitchen and didn’t stop until he was right behind me, pulling me away from the sink.

            “What are you doing?” I asked as I held onto the edge of the sink as he held onto my legs, making me suspended in air.

            “What am I doing, what are you doing lapping up water for?” I giggled and we stayed like this without me saying anything once he made it clear that he would not set me down until I told him. But I sucked at winning things like this.

            “Urgh, fine I’ll tell you, but set me down first please?” I looked over my shoulder and watched him sigh before doing what I asked. Once I turned around he moved so that are bodies were touching, his arms around my waist, my arms around his neck.

            “So why were you being all cat like?” He asked his smirk on his lips.

            “I licked an envelope so it would stay shut, and I was trying to get rid of the nasty taste it left behind, that’s why.” I stared at him and he just stared right back at me.

            “Alright, who’re writing to?”

            “Um, actually my dad,” I bit my lip as his arms tightened around my waist as the rest of his body tensed up. “I take that as you remember him then,” I mumbled, not looking at him.

            “Rave, why? All he’s done is act like you were invisible to him. Why even bother?” He lifted my chin so that I was looking at him.

            “I’m trying Andy; I want my dad in my life okay is that so wrong? Maybe by writing him letters and sending pictures will actually be good and help him realize how much time he’s missed out on.” I said as I stepped away from him and into the living room. I had my camera in my hands when Andy turned me by my elbow so I was looking at him.

            “Do you honestly think it will work Rave? He didn’t even say anything when we walked right past him from your room.”

            “People change; maybe he’ll realize everything that he’s missed out on,”

            “And what if he doesn’t Raven, what if just goes on ignoring you?”

            “Then he’ll have a bunch of letters and pictures that he can ignore if he wants to, send back even.” That was the thing that I hoped wouldn’t happen. It would suck to get these sent back unopened or to know that he just threw them away. It must have shown in my eyes because Andy pulled me into a comforting hug, kissing the top of my murmuring words of comfort into my ear.

            “I just don’t want you to get hurt by this Raven. I hate seeing you sad or upset or anything that’s just not happy.” He whispered.

            “That’s why we wait, take things one day at a day. And if that happens, I know I have you and the guys here to make things better,” I whispered back. I moved so that our foreheads were touching and closed my eyes, enjoying this peaceful moment we had before reality came crashing through and hit us like a tidal wave.

            “I love you Andy,”

            “I love you too Raven.”