(Editied) Chapter One Raven

That morning I woke up with dread like I always do; I didn’t want to go to school. Unlike the people that go there, I don’t have friends and I surely don’t have a boyfriend. Ever since I was little I was different from everybody, instead of wearing pink dresses I was always into jeans and band tee shirts. I was nobody but the freak there.

So whoever came up with the idea of sending kids to school until they were eighteen or nineteen, really sucks.

Sighing I looked at my clock and glared at it. It’s flashing numbers reminding me that I had to get my shit together before I was late to school. Finally pushing back my green covers I was hit with cold air and immediately wanted nothing more than to crawl back into my bed and stay in my room all day instead of going to school and being near my father who ignored me.

Letting my brain take over I slipped a sweater on and walking down the stairs as fast as I could I went to the kitchen sitting down to eat.

My dad continued to look over the morning paper as I sat there staring down at the table that had stains on it. He hasn’t talked to me since mom died almost two years ago. When I was younger, he would tell me that I looked like her all the time. Now he doesn’t even look at me. It used to hurt me so much that he wouldn’t even acknowledge my presence in this house that I had ended up running away from here.

I was gone for two weeks before I came back, starving from lack of food. He didn’t freak out when I walked through the door sleep deprived, starving and in the same clothes that I wore for a week. He hadn’t even notice that I was gone. Now the feeling is just an old cold feeling, it doesn’t bother me anymore; at least, that’s what I tell myself.

Running back up to my room I shut the door and pulled out my favorite pair of Wrangler blues that didn’t cut the blood flow off from my legs paired with a tan grey tank top with the girl from Tim Burton’s new movie Frankenweenie. Carefully pulling my leather jacket off a hanger I slipped that on along with my grey knitted beanie before heading out, tucking my wallet, phone, keys into my pockets and an ear bud into each ear pressing play and hearing Coffin by Black Veil Brides fill my ears.

He didn’t even say goodbye, or, I’ll see you when you get home from school, nothing. I shook the thought from my head and kept on walking, looking down to keep the wind from biting my face. After a while I looked up and saw that the high school wasn’t that far away, only a street away and I would be in another place where I didn’t belong.

As boring and drama filled as it can be, it was exciting at the same time. When it’s just you your ears tune in to everything that’s happening around you. It’s an easy and interesting way to find out what’s going around in the school. I was changing songs when I crashed into somebody.  

 “Hey, are you okay?” Looking I pulled the ear buds out getting ready yell at the person that knocked me to the ground when I saw that it was the vice-principal. If I yelled at him, he would suspend me and I didn’t need that, not right now.

Through clenched teeth I said, “I’m fine.” brushed the dirt off my pants and quickly ran into the school trying to escape before I got in trouble for not being in school. Trying to get to my locker was a pain in the ass. The jocks, or as I like to call them, the idiots, kept on pushing me around until finally they slammed me into the blah green lockers.

“Looks like Raven had a little joint this morning, no wonder she’s unstable.” The upper class students started to laugh as if it was the funniest thing in the world. Rolling my eyes I pushed my way to my locker. These were the people who ruled the school, stupid idiots. Opening my decorated locker of quotes I scanned until I landed on one by Andy Biersack

 “Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.” Some days I live on quotes from them and their song lyrics just to get by. Lowering my eyes I looked at the Ritual lyrics.

 “Thoughts of escape and blood shot eyes

You’re barely sleeping, no longer dreaming,

Now what you do to feel alive,”

 Barely sleeping these days I spent those nights wondering why I even try and why I even continue to deal with this crap. The only thing that keeps me going are the guys and the fact that in two in half months I’ll be eighteen and I’ll be able to leave this place behind once and for all.

 Swallowing I put all of my afternoon items in and shut it, swinging my backpack onto my shoulder, accidently hitting something in the process, mumbling a sorry I walked to homeroom and kept going until I was in back corner. Slouching down into my seat I laid my head down onto my forearms and squeeze my finger nails into the palm of my hands, not caring if I break skin.

I haven’t cared in a long time, and I think I’ve forgotten what it means to care now. These days I have to be strong but that’s it, nobody can see how weak I am or they’ll push even more. And I want to care, and that’s the thing, it’s had to care when no one cares about you.

“When I hear your cries, praying for light, I will be there

When I hear your cries, praying for light, I will be there!”