Ethan James' POV

Ethan James' POV:

"No!" I scream as I look all around. All I see is fire. But, worst of all, I smell blood burning. As I take a step forward, I trip on something and I start screaming. I landed on top of my mother's bloody body.

"No!" I yell again as I wake up with a start and fall off my bed. Only a dream, I think to myself, only a dream. Lately I've been having nightmares of my house burning down but today was actually the first day I've seen my mother's dead body. What if it comes true? I shudder at the thought.

"Ethan! It's morning, come down for breakfast," my mother calls me.

Just a dream, I keep reminding myself as I get up and off the floor. I glance at the mirror to see an 18 year old boy smiling back. Today was my birthday!

"Ethan! Did you get up yet?" my mother calls again.

"Yes and I'm going to the lavatory," I call back. I quickly brush my curly brown hair as I proceed to go to the bathroom.

I brush my teeth while staring at myself in the mirror. There was a picture of 12 year old me next to the mirror. I didn't look very different except for the fact that I've developed a tan color and that I look more like an adult.

I quickly go down two steps at a time until I reach the dining room.

"Good morning dearest mother and good morning dearest sister Katherine," I greet them.

Katherine, my 14 year old sister, looks at me and points with her eyes towards my mother. I know that she was trying to warn me about the hurricane that was about to hit.

"Ethan, do you know how long I've been waiting for you? Your toast is cold, but I'll leave you to deal with it as a punishment for waking up late," my mother says.

"Mom, did you forget? Today's my birthday," I whine like a five year old kid.

"That's the reason I'm doing all of this. You're 18 now, you need to act more like your age. Well, you really need to try to act more like your father," she says.

As if on cue, my dad walks in with his shoulders saggy. I suddenly feel really bad for him. Then, his eyes land on me.

"Ethan, I need to have a very serious talk with you," he looks at my mother and she leaves while trying to take Katherine with her, who naturally protests but when my father's eyes land on her, she quickly accepts defeat.

After he hears the door close, he begins, "Ethan, I think its time for you to take care of the farm while I'm away." He puts up a finger to stop me from questioning and says, "Please, let me finish and ask your questions later."

"As you may not know", he continues, "I will be away for some time while you take care of the farm. I will be joining the Confederates to fight against the Union. In my opinion, I think it's finally time that we get separated from those Northerners. They always believe in equal rights but all that they're doing is making a big fool of themselves." He slightly chuckles at this.

"But, as I was saying" he starts again, "I want you to take care of this family. I know that you are a very responsible young man and that you will be able to handle any type of situation. That is my faith in you. I beg you to not say anything to anyone except your mother and Katherine. I do not want to risk your lives at any cost. Also, if the war comes here to North Carolina, I want you to take your mother, Katherine and 4-5 trusted slaves and flee. Go to Virginia, where your uncle, my brother lives. This is his address," he said, giving me a thick piece of parchment.

"Also", he started with tears forming in his eyes, which he swiftly wiped away, "if anything happens to me, promise me that you'll protect them no matter what. Promise me, Ethan. Please promise me."

"I-I promise. I promise you that I will protect them even if it kills me," I said, surprised that the words even came out at all.

"Thank you," was all he was able to say until we heard hard knocking on the door.