Ethan James' POV

Ethan James' POV:

"Mr. John James, are you in there?' came the muffled voice, behind the door.

"Yes, who is it?" my father said as he got up to open the door. By the way, our front door is in the dining room, although I never fully understood the reason.

"I am a fellow soldier, who has come to inform you that it is time to leave. Please do hurry as we must not be late for our first meeting, especially since we're going to go over war strategies," he leans in closer and whispers into my father's ear (even though I still heard him), "We are really going to need it. Especially since, news on the road, the North has more soldiers than us."

"But, I hope that, that does not discourage you, fellow soldier," said my father, repeating his introduction back to him.

"Oh-h, I hope that you do not think that I am scared," he said, even though it was evident that he was baffled, "because I- I can show you that I have courage."

"Yes, indeed, I have courage," he said, snapping his fingers as he thought that his comment was very compelling and powerful.

Although my father was very amused at this. I could see that my father liked him and I was actually happy that my father found a friend and wouldn't be as lonely.

"Okay, oh brave and courageous one," my father began.

"I did not say brave but you can say that I also have that quality in me, which makes me the heroic one," said the man, smiling proudly, with his chest pushed out and hands on his hips.

My father couldn't take it, so he started laughing. Seeing him laugh, I started to really laugh, which was a huge mistake. Once I start laughing, I just can't stop. So, after my father stopped laughing, I was still there laughing like there's no tomorrow. Tears were starting to form in my eyes and I couldn't breathe properly. My father must've noticed that because his face became very serious and he patted very hard on my back. If it wasn't for him, I think I would've died of laughter.

After I stopped laughing, everything and everyone was quiet.

The man broke the silence by saying, "Oh, I am very sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Stonewall Jackson. This was going to be a surprise but I just have to tell you. My surprise is that I will be your drill master since you are new to the Confederates Army. Oh and by the way, my little act in the beginning was only done to actually see what type of soldier you are. But instead I have found a great friend who I know will be a perfect soldier."

My father just stared at him, trying to comprehend what he just heard.

"Y-you a-are m-my drill master," he stuttered, and now I finally know where I got my stuttering from.

"Yes, but I do hope that we can become very good friends for I see that we share the same type of humor. I would've done the exact same if I were in your place," he kindly replied.

Then Mr. Jackson looked at his watch and said, "Oh my, we are almost late. We better hurry up. And please do say goodbye to your family, I wouldn't want them to feel like I stole you. I shall be waiting outside to give you privacy."

After Mr. Jackson exited out the door, my father called, "Elizabeth, Katherine, will you please come to the dining room."

My mother and Katherine came down the stairs and sat on the two empty seats next to me.

My father looked at my mother first and began, "Elizabeth, I have to leave to go to war, Ethan will explain everything. All that I ask of you is to not worry and let Ethan take care of everything since he will be the only man in the household after I leave." My mother sat there puzzled but before she can say anything, my father looked at Katherine.

"Katherine, you're a bright and mature girl. I will tell you the same thing that I've told your mother. Trust and follow what Ethan says, for he does not wish you any harm. Don't worry about me and please take care of your mother. Oh, and I am going to give you the necklace that used to belong to my grandmother, it will protect and guide you. Understand?" he asked as he took out a golden necklace and put it on her palms. He closes her hand and says, "My love and guidance will always be with you," as he kissed the top of her head.

"But, I must go now for I have my drill master waiting for me," he said.

Then, as an afterthought, he added, "Don't show despair when you face any situation that seems hard. For the past is the past and can't be changed. But the future can be changed if you know how to spend your present wisely."