Carlton Walter's POV

Carlton Walter's POV:

The shadow moved across the dark, as if searching for something. Then it stopped. He started reaching out to something.Just then I noticed liquid on the floor. It was thick and looked black. I took a closer look at the liquid- blood. And it was coming from the the person that the figure was reaching out to. Then I heard a dark, cold voice, " You'll never find him. And by the time you do, it'll be too late."

I woke with a jolt. The prisoners. Their presence has left my mind. I quickly and quietly climbed down the stairs to the kitchen. No cook and her helpers. I gathered as much food as I could and divided it equally on three plates. I knew that one plate would be enough, but they haven't eaten anything since this morning. Once I had all the plates at the entrance, I opened the door with the key. Just then they started murmuring which eventually, I knew, would grow louder.

"Please do not talk, for if the guards hear you they will come and find me, and I'm not suppose to give you food, so you will get nothing," I said.

They quieted down and I started passing the food out once again and pretty soon they all had thirds. As I was giving the last man the last piece of bread, he refused, his brown eyes full of sorrow.

" Please do take this, sir, for I don't want you to starve and don't know when I will be coming back."

" It is not food that I need, it is my family."

I did not know what to reply.

My hand was still inside the bars, the bread still reaching out to him.

He took my hand.

" Please, write to my family to assure them that I'm still alive and well. Please, for I'm sure someone has notified them of me being captured and now they are overwrought and troubled."

I nodded. " I will see what I can do, for I wouldn't want more discomfort laid upon you. I would come back tomorrow with parchment and a quill to write the names and address of your family."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sidled towards the dungeon very quietly around 6 at sunrise. I had the piece of parchment and the quill in my hand. I cautiously climbed down 2 flights then peeked to see if the guard was there. No he wasn't. I opened the door and, luckily, all the prisoners were asleep. I walked softly to his cell and poked him softly.

He opened his eyes. " Thank You," he said.

This is how the letter ended up:

To: Ethan James

2468 Brunswick County, North Carolina

Dear beloved wife and children,

Please do not come looking for me, for it is too far and dangerous and I know you will try. I was captured and put in a cell but I am alright and has asked a kind boy by the name of Carlton Walters to write this letter to you to assure you I am not in grave danger. Please tell your mother for I know that she will be very much perturbed if she didn't read this letter.

Your Loving Father,

John James