Carlton Walter's POV

Carlton Walter’s POV:

         The ride seemed long enough to bore someone partially to death, but not me. Alfred fighting… Edwin’s horrifying scream cut short… the sickening sound of the knife going straight into Alfred’s chest… no the ride was not boring, but extremely horrendous. I doubt if I wasn’t stroking Sarah’s fur, I wouldn’t think my stomach would hold when I’ve just seen such a scene.

        I could feel the shallow breathing of Ethan behind my back. I didn’t know whether to tell him when I arrive to the house or not. Might save his stomach to not.

         He was such a friendly person- it would be horrible if we were to be separated. It was very strange to know someone for 2 days only and be as close as

         My house came into view. Usually I wouldn’t feel too thrilled to come back home after a refreshing ride with Sarah. But I wanted to talk to Ethan’s father.

         We slid off Sarah and I brought Sarah back to the stables. Then I sneaked with Ethan through the back door so the maids don’t ask any questions. I quietly led him down the stairs and take the keys out of it’s hiding place. I opened the doors and stepped inside Ethan following behind.

         Just then I heard his voice - “Why there you are, Carlton. I was very indeed worried that you must have gotten yourself in a muddle with enemies that I have even gathered a search party.” There my Father stood, smiling but the smile didn’t reach his eyes.

         I forced a smile. “I have come back Father with a … um… a friend that wants to join our side in the war. His parents favor slavery, but he opposes it.”

         “His name is…?”

         I looked to Ethan for help. “He states that his name is , um, Jasper.”

         He stepped in front and said “ Pleased to meet you, sir.”

         My father just nodded and said, “You and your friend can do whatever you want but don’t get into any trouble.” With that he left, not having to care less of what we were going to do next.

         I motioned Ethan to follow me but to stay silent. He quietly followed me when we bumped into the guard.

         “What are you doing here?” he questioned.

         “Just the person I was looking for,” I said, “A fight broke out outside. They’re the kids of the Confederates. They came to spy on us but instead they started quarrelling with each other. When I went up to them, they all fled and I have suspicions that they’re hiding in the garden.”

         With this, the guard quickly hurried out. I didn’t waste a single second as I took out the key from the hidden place and took Ethan down to the dungeon to see his father.