Carlton Walter's POV

Carlton Walter's POV:

         It didn't make sense. First I saw him raise the gun and load it. Then he pointed it at me as if he was going to shoot me. Did he not recognize me? But he smiled at me when he fell.

         Then it hit me with such force: he had tricked me.

         The same noise escaped from my throat that escaped with my father. I couldn't start to cry on the battle field. As luck would have it, the Confederates started retreating.

                         -----------------------------------------------------------------

          As I laid on the ground, gazing at the stars, I thought of Ethan. Would he ever forgive me for the crime that I have committed? Would he still be my friend even in death? I fell asleep thinking of these questions.

         "Carlton", calls a hazy figure. It is approaching me but I can not recognize the person.

         "Carlton!" it calls again. This time I recognize the person. I run over to give him a hug as I let my tears flow freely.

         "Ethan, I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I did not intend to kill you. My father told me that this war won't show mercy and that winning is most important. When you pointed your rifle at me, I thought that you were going to kill me. But when you smiled at me that's when I realized that you tricked me," I said, as I started complaining, "You tricked me! How dare you do that to me!?!"

          Then Ethan just starts laughing, that's when I realized that his face isn't burnt anymore instead it's just like how it was before only this time, his skin was slightly glowing.

         He continues to laugh and hearing his laughter makes me laugh too. Then he contains his laughter and explains, "I wanted you to kill me for now you have truly freed me. I wouldn't have been able to keep both my promise and vow if you did not kill me. Instead I must ask for your forgiveness for I had indeed tricked you."

         "I forgive you, but can you come back? I need you here."

         His sad eyes looked to me, "I can not for I have deceived death once by surviving even though my body was on fire, but this time my soul is truly freed from my body. I only came to you to tell you that I'm leaving this world but I will always be with you for I am a part of you. It is finally time to join my family."

         With that, his father came out of nowhere and they both held hands as they started to cross the bridge. I could see that on the other side a young girl and a woman of age 39 stood at the end of the bridge. They looked very excited. That's when I realized that those must be Ethan's mother and sister.

         Then Ethan looked back and smiled at me once more ...