Carlton Walter's POV

Carlton Walter's POV:

A loud noise escaped from my throat. I slid off of Sarah, my head seeming about to explode. My father fell just as I reached him.

         I could feel the tears slide down my face as I opened his shirt. There were two bullet marks in his chest. I looked in his eyes for the first time - they looked empty now and unusually bright - tears.

         “You know what to do. It will be alright, but for now you will fight and I- I will join your mother. Be strong.” Blood started to gurgle out his mouth as his body froze.

         He didn’t speak again.

         I couldn’t look at him no more, for the amount of death’s I’ve seen has been too many. I covered his eyes not wanting to look at him.

         I stayed with him for a long time, Ethan standing over us. The Confederates will not get away with this. Never. He may have been harsh to me and not so loving, but he is my father and I will fight for him. I looked at Ethan, his face solemn. I said, “ I don’t think you would want to know how depressing this is to me. So many deaths in just 2 days. I don’t think you know how gruesome it is for me accept the fact that someone is dead - gone forever. I don’t think you know that these deaths are loved ones - Mother, Alfred, Edwin, Father, and all those other soldiers and families who have lost many people. The war hasn’t even started and I have had enough of the deaths, the murderings, the blood, the hatred, and this war, which only has increased sadness and more hate. I honestly think that it will be a miracle if we stayed together and lived after this war to continue our lives. But with the deaths today- all I can say is that the chances are very slim. I will tell you this - that I won’t betray you, my friend for you didn’t betray me.”

         I could see him nod but I realized that he was thinking about something else.

         Just then the house behind us made a loud Boom!

         “My father!” yelled Ethan.