Carlton Walter's POV

Carlton Walter's POV:

"Master, Master, please wake up."

I groaned as I gradually got up. "Your father has asked me to prepare your favorite breakfast and...".

I jolted up as my maid blabbered on and on about something else. The only thing on my mind was pancakes.

I washed and dressed quickly in my finest clothes and rushed to the dinner table. Today was my birthday - I was turning 18!

As I sat down at the dining table I thought about my mother. Every time on my birthday she would make me the cake herself instead of the maids. But not this year. I was still thinking about her when my maid put down the plate with a large stack of pancakes in front of me.

"... said he was returning today from war," she said. I looked at Father's empty chair across the table from me. He has gone off to war against the Confederates to end slavery.

I wasn't thrilled about the idea of my dad going off to war, but I wasn't happy about the thought of him coming home also.

My dad was a big, gruff man with barely any blonde hair on his head. He barely ever paid attention to me. I hardly ever mind but sometimes I do wish we had that father - son connection.

I looked at my maid.

"My Father is coming home today?" I asked. She nodded her head yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was alone in the dining room, I grabbed a towel and put the leftover food in it. There was an abundant amount of fresh vegetables, boiled eggs, roast beef, baked potatoes, soft bread, and smoked bacon. The pancakes were gone.

I made sure the food didn't get mushed and descended 5 flights of stairs. To the dungeon. I found the hidden key and opened it. When I walked in, the prisoners got up and went closer to the barred doors. I handed out the food one by one and heard the mutters of thanks to all of them. I wasn't suppose to be giving the prisoners food to eat, but it rather did pain me to see them starve to death.

I locked the door as I came out. Just then I heard footsteps descending down the stairs. I froze- then hid in the corner. The guard was coming. And then I remembered - I forgot to put the key back into it's hidden place.

The guard looked for it, but didn't find it. He shrugged and climbed back up the stairs.