Carlton Walter's POV

Carlton Walters POV:

           We finally reached our first station. It was a small church. It looked so simple and regular that no one would actually suspect this place to be a station.

         Alfred knocked three times at the very top of the door. Then he knocked eight times at the very bottom. A small head peeked out to observe us.

         He looked to be 4’6”, compared to my height of 6’1”.

         Looking at me, he started to say, “I am sorry, sir, but as you know the church is closed after five. You do know that this is for security measurements and I am sorry, sir, but I can not let you in.”

         He was about to close the door, when Alfred blocked it with his foot, startled the man looked up. He must’ve recognized Alfred as a slave for he started speaking in a language that I didn’t quite understand.

         But the last word that I heard was “...Carlton”. Hearing my name, and also being curious of their conversation, I looked at Alfred.

         Alfred finally looked at me, as the small little man started opening the door wide enough to enter two people. Alfred, then started explaining, “This is an African language called Gullah. It is a mix of English and Western African. This young man’s name is Edwin, and I will not tell his last name out of his privacy. He is a conductor and has helped many slaves escape to freedom. Along the way, he has learned the language Gullah, he was testing to see if I knew the language.”

         “Please lay your friend over there,” Edwin said pointing towards a very miserable definition of a blanket. I carefully laid Ethan down as he was mumbling something in his sleep.

         “Please have some tea,” Edwin offered as he poured me and Alfred a cup of tea. Drinking the tea made me feel much better. Then I decided that I should talk about Ethan’s situation with Alfred before I actually talked with Ethan.

         “Alfred,” I called, “Can I please talk with you about Ethan?”

         “Of course you can,” Alfred said as he sat down beside me on the cold floor.

         “Where will he go? I can’t possibly bring him with me to my house. Father would disapprove. And then again, I can’t stay here for I must get back.”

         “Do not worry, for I will stay with Ethan and we’ll follow the Underground Railroad to go somewhere safe until the war is over, or at least until it cools down,” Alfred said in his logical tone.

         “But can you please convince Ethan to go with you, for I know that he will try to rescue his father. But that can not happen right at this moment. The best weapon he has right now is stealth and he must use that weapon. I will try my best to help Ethan’s father escape. So we have to make sure that Ethan goes to somewhere safe and also Ethan’s father.”

         I was about to talk about my plan of how I was going to help Ethan’s father escape, when Ethan said, “Where am I?”.