Carlton Walter's POV

Carlton Walter’s POV:

         I looked at myself in the mirror that one of the soldiers had. I looked like a younger version of my father only my hair was a bit messy.

         “We must go for the Confederates are attacking,” called one of the soldiers.

         I took a deep breath as I started jogging with the other soldiers to reach the battlefield. The closer we came, the louder the gunshots could be heard.

         We finally reached the battlefield. It already became a lot messy even before most of the soldiers came. There were many soldiers on the ground, I could not see if they were Confederates or Unions for their uniform were soaked in blood.

         Then I remembered about Ethan. I started to look for him but I couldn’t find him. Somewhere inside of me I hoped that he would be here so that I wouldn’t be alone but then I realized that it would be the best if we don’t meet. That way, we won’t have to see each other’s tragic ending.

         My thoughts were interrupted when I felt a breeze next to my right ear. I touched the tip of my right ear to see blood. Then I hear someone groaning. I looked behind me to see that a young man of 20-21 was hit on his forehead. I instantly felt bad for him and I remembered what my father said, “This war is no mercy, just winning.” I realized just how true his words were.

         This man could’ve lived to see another day if he did not have to fight in the Civil War. But his life was snuffed out of him because he chose to fight for a cause. Then I realized that I must shoot for I have to play my part in helping to win this war. But I will not kill only harm.

         So, I hit a man who looked to be 38 on his leg and another who looked to be 29 on his arm. While shooting these people in places that would not kill them, my eyes met Ethan’s eyes.

         I froze looking at him. I didn’t know what to do.