Ethan James' POV

My eyes met Carlton's eyes. Then I remembered my vow, I will never harm you even if it costs me my life. Then I remembered my promise to my father of standing by the Confederates' side.

What can I do? Then a man of 24 of age, fell to the ground. He was right next to me and as I looked at him, I finally realized what it is that I must do.

I moved my lips to say, "Kill me."

He seemed confused at first but then I kept repeating the phrase over and over again until he finally understood.

Then I saw how he was in deep thought and he finally shook his head to say no.

I realized that he wouldn't shoot at me for I remembered that he had said, "I won't betray you, my friend for you didn't betray me."

This gave me an idea. I would pretend to shoot him so that he would feel threatened and shoot me.

I raised my rifle and pointed it at him. He seemed confused and shocked. Then I could see that his face turned to anger. I showed him that I was loading my bullets so that it would enrage him even further.

It worked as he finally raised the rifle at me. But then he hesitated for a second. I pulled the trigger and aimed for on top of his head and not him. But he didn't realize that for he pulled his trigger and the bullet hit me with full force at my chest.

I remembered how my mother told me that at your last few seconds of life, you're life will flash before you. She was right. My life flashed before me. I felt every emotion that I ever felt in my entire life surging through me. I could feel my life drain away.

Then I looked at Carlton, who seemed confused as to what he just did. I gave him a small smile as I feel myself falling ... falling ... falling ...