Ethan James' POV

Ethan James' POV:

Time seemed to fly as we were talking. To get to the clinic faster, I even offered Alfred to get on the back of my bike as we rode. As we talked I learned a lot of personal details about his life. One of the most interesting was that he knows how to read and write. Most (if not all) slaves are forbidden to learn to read or write. But, Carlton, his master's son, actually gave time to teach him.

It seemed that most of his life evolved around slavery and his friendship with Calton. I actually started to like Carlton even though I never met him. Alfred described him as a kind boy who would always go out of his way to do what was right, even if it was strictly forbidden.

After what seemed like a few minutes, we finally arrived at the U.S. Mail store. The clinic was right next to the U.S. Mail store. For some reason, I had an urge to go inside that store and write a letter to my father.

I must've stood there for some time because Alfred was pulling my arm. When I looked at him, he pointed to a young man, who seemed no older than myself, coming towards us. He had dirty blonde hair and dark gray eyes that were nearly black. His nose was slightly upturned.

I was about to ask Alfred who he was, when the man started to say, "Alfred, we've finally met. I've been starting to get worried about you thinking that father did harm to you. One day, I see you working on the field with the rest of the slaves and the next day, all of the slaves are gone. That very day, we had to move to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania." By seeing the happiness on Alfred's face, I realized that this must be Carlton.

Alfred went over to Carlton and they were both recalling their memories. While I was standing awkwardly behind Alfred. Carlton must've noticed my uneasiness because he asked, "Alfred, who is your friend over here?"

Alfred finally remembered that I was there and said, "Oh this is Ethan James and he is my master's son. We were going to go to the clinic to get a doctor for Ethan's mother for she is terribly ill."

"Ethan James?" Carlton asked, as if he heard the name somewhere, "Oh, Ethan James! Is your father's name, by any chance, John James?"

Hearing my father's name, different types of emotions flooded into me.

"Yes, and how do you know my father?" I asked, eager to get some information about my father.

"He was taken as prisoner and is currently in my house. Well not exactly in my house, but in my dungeon. Your father has asked me to write a letter to you to inform you about him. Luckily I didn't send the letter yet. So, here is the letter," he said, as he handed me the letter.

I didn't waste time in opening and reading the letter. I was very happy to read that my father was safe and that my dream didn't come true. But then I remembered that I still have to save my mother and she was close to death by now.

"Thank you," was all I said, as I rushed to go inside the clinic so that I can get a doctor.

But the sight that I was met with would be a sight that I would never forget.