Chapter 13

"Mr Birch, this is Mr Everett and I must say he is an excellent artist. One of the finest in Derbyshire." Georgiana spoke with an unusual confidence which seemed attractive to the former who stared at her with admiration.

"If you say so, Miss Darcy." Mr Birch smiled with his cheeks turning a little rosy. "And I am charmed to meet you Mr Everett. If Miss Darcy has named you the finest in Derbyshire, then I must believe her. Have you been to France?"

"No sir."

"Not been to France? How odd for an artist to have never seen France. It is the country of art. I must take you there some day."

"Sir, our own country does not lack any skills in art. We have produced some of the finest paintings too. It is sad how our own native artists leave England in order to make some coin and fame."

Mr Birch let out a slight chuckle before answering; "You possess a good level of intellect. I live in Nottinghamshire. If you ever come there, we must have tea. But that would not be necessary. I am in search of an estate here, in Derbyshire. If I do find one, you must come and have tea."

"A generous offer, I must say. We shall talk later sir, as I have an important matter to attend to. My lady must be waiting for me."

"Then you shall go immediately. It is never right to leave a lady waiting."

Mr Everett left the two alone. Georgiana enjoyed Mr Birch's company but it was nothing compared to Mr Everett's. His had some wit, some intelligence and even some freeness, whereas Mr Birch was nervous and more friendly than necessary when he spoke.

"What do you think of music?" Georgiana asked.

"Music is charming. What do you think of it?" He replied.

"Music is in my soul. I breathe music, I talk music and I make music. You shall listen to me playing on the pianoforte some day."

"What type of music do you prefer?"

"Beethoven." She answered without even thinking. She had loved Beethoven's compositions after realising that it was Mr Everett's choice.

"Beethoven! Very pleasant indeed. What you think of Mozart?"

"A little obsolete. We all need fresh music in our lives."

"That is true."

"Now come, we should have dinner. You must be starving."

With that, Georgiana took her guest to the dining hall where they had dinner and talked the rest of the night. She would occasionally search for Mr Everett in the crowd but was not able find him. This made her a little sad but it did not affect her behaviour towards Mr Birch, who had come under the awe of her and was sure that he wanted to talk to Mr and Mrs Darcy about proposing to Georgiana Darcy, who he was completely infatuated with.