Chapter 16

Next day, it was a boisterous morning in Pemberly. Catherine Bennet and Mrs Bennet arrived early in the morning with all the tears in their eyes. They were angry, frustrated and in despair.

"He left my poor daughter! What did she do to deserve this?" Mrs Bennet exclaimed with a handkerchief in her hand, which she used to wipe away her tears. "That horrible, disgusting man!"

"Mother, what is wrong?" Elizabeth asked weakly.

"Mr Everett has left. He sent us this letter this morning and we rushed here to tell you this horrifying news." Mrs Bennet handed the letter to Elizabeth who read it out loud.

Catherine Bennet
You have definitely proved to be a terrible future wife. I cannot marry someone who has no taste, no intellect and no interest in anything but looks. Allow me to tell you that I have broken off my engagement with you. We shall not get married. I am leaving Derbyshire forever and I must never come back to this horrid place where I got myself stuck in a detestable situation. You shall never see me again. I apologise if I hurt your feelings but this is the truth. Give my regards to the Darcys.

Augustin Everett

Jane and Georgiana gave each other alarmed looks and Elizabeth sat down on the sofa with her lips parted, caused by the shock. Catherine Bennet cried even more. She sobbed and sobbed, hugged her mother ever so tightly and Mrs Bennet kept uttering obscenities against that man.

"My daughter's heart is broken. It is in no state of staying alive. Elizabeth! Inform your husband of this treachery. He is the man who shall help us. Get Mr Everett punished severely." Mrs Bennet stroked Kitty's hair gently, as she said those cruel words.

Georgiana stood up and left the parlour but upon leaving it, she came to face Mr Birch who had just arrived.

"Miss Darcy, is everything fine? You look dour. I came to ask you if you would like to spend a few days with me at the Nottinghamshire estate."

"I am fine, Mr Birch. And I think I would very much like to leave this place for a while. I shall come with you to the Nottinghamshire estate." Georgiana replied, feeling utterly fatigued by the everyday situations in Pemberly.

"That is wonderful. You shall pack your belongings today and we will set out to-morrow for Nottinghamshire. Do inform Mrs Darcy about our journey."

"I will."

"Would you like to walk with me around the gardens?"

"Surely."

The gardens had always made her feel better and she was thankful that they existed. Mr Everett's sudden disappearance did not surprise her for some odd reason but she did feel a little sad for Catherine, who had given her soul to that man but she did not receive anything from him in return. Georgiana told Mr Birch about his departure and he was struck shocked by her words. He wondered what would ever happen to the plans that they had for their wedding day but Georgiana told him everything would be fine.