Chapter 9

"Miss Darcy," Mr Everett entered her room with a canvas and a huge grin on his face; "I do not mean to praise myself, but you will not believe how wonderful this painting turned out to be."

Georgiana did not say a word, but her expressions showed that she was in no mood of talking to him. He examined her expression and chuckled.

"Why have you put up that expression on your face? Please do let me know. Have I committed a mistake?"

"Why, no you have not. I just do not like the way you become so intimated with others. But leave that aside, and show me the painting."

He gave a good laugh before rotating the canvas and Georgiana let out a loud gasp, covering her mouth with her hands. The portrait of her looked so realistic. Each and every detail was done with perfection. Her half-parted pink lips lifted up into a pleasant smile, her rose-red cheeks, her delicate little nose, and her luscious hair tied up in a dainty manner. It felt as if she was looking at herself in the mirror. The beauty of the painting was so great that her eyes were tearful.

"How is it then?" Mr Everett asked. "I have only showed it to you. If you find a fault in it-"

"A fault in it!" She cried, chopping off his sentence which remained incomplete. "Mr Everett, this painting is such a perfection! There is not a single fault in it. How talented you are! Pray, I must tell you that you are blessed with the gift of art."

"I appreciate your compliment Miss Darcy. And I disagree with your last statement. Every savage can paint, as long as they have the right master. If I could, I would have turned you into a fine artist in a day."

"Then do so! You have elevated my interest in art even more, and my only desire right now is to design a painting like this one." She got up and took a closer look at the canvas.

Just then, Mr Darcy entered the room and was bewildered upon seeing Mr Everett in Georgiana's room. But that bewilderment disappeared upon the sight of the painting. His eyes were widened and he remained speechless for a few minutes, until he walked in and was finally able to speak.

"This!" He pointed at the canvas. "This is a magnificent work of art! Mr Everett, how can I ever thank you for this wonderful portrait of my dear sister? Take a name of any value and it is yours!"

Georgiana glanced at Mr Everett who had an amusing smirk upon his face. "I do not desire any coin, sir. I assume you remember me saying that I enjoy challenges? This was a perfect challenge for me and I am grateful to you for giving me such a challenge. Consider this painting as my gift to Georgiana Darcy. I really have enjoyed the journey of designing this painting. But this is not the end. I have to make more paintings in Pemberly."

He settled the painting in the corner and was ready to walk out of the room until Georgiana stopped him.

"You must teach me how to draw and paint. I insist. It is only one thing that I am weak at. I am only a beginner at it."

When he had only reached the door, Mr Everett's heart raced when he heard her sweet voice, which had mesmerised him at that moment.

"I shall teach you, Miss Georgiana, but not today. Some other day perhaps." And with that he left the room. As he walked down the corridor, he passed by the parlour and the door was slightly open. He caught a glimpse of Mrs Bennet and Catherine inside it but the door opened wider and Elizabeth came out, only to be surprised at him.

"Mr Everett, we were only talking about you and I was just coming to get you. Catherine wants to see you." She stepped aside, making way for him to walk in.

He did so and he was delighted on the sight of Kitty, who was standing eagerly and upon seeing him, her mood was lit up.

"Mr Everett, how have you been?" Kitty exclaimed; "pray, you look so frail. Have you not been eating properly? The last time I saw you, you looked so well."

Mr Everett made his reverence, beamed and walked towards her before answering; "I have been eating properly, but I have been working hard too. I love hard work, and for me, hard work is designing perfect paintings."

"You are greatly artful, I must tell you. Do not push yourself too much, because no matter how you form your paintings, they always turn out to look delightful. It is surely because God has designed your delicate hands in such way. I certainly praise your art."

"Thank you, Miss Bennet."

Mrs Bennet and Mrs Darcy passed a look at each other, and they left before the two young youths could notice them.

They sat on the red sofa and without warning, Catherine grabbed his hands. He was too astonished for words, but when he saw her turn crimson with nervousness, he brought back his assuring smile.

"Mr Everett, I have no right to know your feelings but I must confess mine. It gives me pain to conceal these feelings from you but now is the right time. I admire you greatly, too great for words. It is only you who is always in my thoughts. Since the day I saw you, I was too shocked. I wondered to myself; 'who must this angelic man be?' You have all the qualities to be admired. Your voice reminds me of the sweet chirping of the birds, your smile reminds me of a gentle breeze on a warm summer's day, and your delicate hands, they are so fragile, just like a precious piece of glass, so precious that I want to hold on to them. Heaven! I have said too much. I would like to conclude on saying that I love you too dearly."

After confessing all her feelings, her face seemed timid and sickly. Mr Everett was sure that she was going to faint, and so he held onto her hands tightly. He then replied to her coolly.