“My heart is my heart. Let’s leave this topic alone,” I growled, hoping to avoid any further ‘advice.’

“No romantic ties,” warned James.

“I understand your concern for your daughter but we don’t have any romance between us,” I said, immediately thinking back to the night on the couch. It was my mistake. We should have never gotten I that close but we hadn’t kissed. I kept telling myself it was nothing. That she didn’t have any feelings towards me but she didn’t stop either until I finally backed off.

“I hope you will live on your words,” Marcy interrupted my thoughts, giving me a look that made me guilty all over again.

“Of course I will,” I nodded. This was going to be one heck of a ride, trying to control my unavoidable feelings for Gracie but I had to do it.

I heard someone yell and another voice yell back when we had quieted down. “What is the meaning of this ruckus?” James asked, standing up. “It sounds like Amos and Brandon.”

“Oh, boy,” Marcy said, getting up from her chair. “I should go get those two to settle down. They’ve been constantly fighting ever since Gracie disappeared.”

“That’s a long time,” I whistled.

“Yes but hopefully things will turn out to be better between both of them,” Marcy sighed and excused herself.

“I think we’re done here too,” I said and decided to follow Marcy upstairs.

There were loud voices but suddenly, there was a silence that filled the air.

“That’s weird,” Marcy whispered. “They usually get at each other until one of them is bleeding on the ground.” She said it so normally that I had to suppress my shock before we ventured to the top of the stairs right in front of what I thought of was Gracie’s room.

“How can you be my mate?” I heard Gracie’s soft voice said, barely in a whisper.

Mate? A sudden burst of anger filled me but I didn’t let myself carried away. How dare I try and interrupt Gracie’s fate? Fate sure had a terrible turn for me.

“Oh, dear. This may be a little too fast for Gracie,” Marcy whispered and knocked softly on the door. “It’s me, dears,” she smiled and let herself in. I followed closely after her, trying to get a good look at her mate. It was one of Amos’ friends who I played basketball with. He was also in my Human Anatomy class and if I was correct, his name was Brandon.

“This isn’t a good time mom,” Amos gritted his teeth.

“Yes, I can see. Brandon dear, I think it’s best for you to go home. No one is exactly in the best situation to bring this topic up,” Marcy said sweetly but Brandon made no indication that he would leave anytime soon. “May I remind you that you have a girlfriend at the moment. I advise you to leave her alone until you get your head straightened out,” Marcy said this time harshness and bitterness in her voice.

“Uh, Mrs. Awb-mom-I’m not going to mate him or let him mark me,” Gracie said a little louder than before and I felt the burden on me lift. I had a little chance. Oh, for goodness sake!

“The main point is that it’s too fast for anyone right now so Brandon, please leave,” Marcy said a second time.

“Yo, man. Get out before my dad comes,” Amos said nervously, protecting his friend. James would definitely let his anger judge him if he didn’t leave soon. He probably wouldn’t give it a second glance before throwing Brandon out.

“I’m leaving. I’ll see you later Amos,” Brandon grumbled. “Mrs. Awbrey,” he bowed, “Gracie.” He left, completely ignoring me. Yeah, go ahead and ignore the vampire king. See where that will get you.